This post may contain affiliate links. Please read mydisclosure policy.
Making your own pico de gallo (aka salsa fresca) is ridiculously easy, and the results are far superior to anything you can buy in a store. Plus, it’s infinitely customizable, so you can make it exactly the way you like it.
This homemade salsa recipe is a great place to start, but feel free to experiment with different types of peppers, herbs, and tomatoes. Trust me – once you’ve tried homemade pico de gallo, you’ll never go back to the store-bought stuff again!
If you’re craving a good fresh salsa, as you might find in your favorite Mexican Restaurant, look no further. With just a few simple ingredients, you can be on your way to making a big bowl of this classic Mexican recipe.
Living a significant portion of my life in Southern California has made me a 🌶 Salsa Snob. I’ve tasted so many amazing recipes for salsa. This homemade pico de gallo recipe is my favorite way to make salsa. It’s one of the easiest recipes you can find, and it goes with every kind of Mexican food you can think of.
Don’t forget to pin this post to save for later!
What is Pico de Gallo?
Pico de Gallo is fresh tomato salsa that is sometimes called Salsa Fresca. It’s a chunky salsa made with fresh ingredients. Unlike a roasted salsa, this is an uncooked salsa.
This classic recipe is chock full of fresh juicy tomatoes and crisp onion and gets a hint of heat from either serrano pepper or jalapeño pepper.
Serve this fresh and easy recipe with all of your favorite Mexican Recipes. It’s the perfect accompaniment to your favorite tortilla chips.
Pico De Gallo Ingredients
- Fresh tomatoes: Make sure you use fresh, ripe tomatoes. I find that fresh plum tomatoes or Roma tomatoes have the best flavor.
- Peppers: Serrano peppers are a spicy addition to this Pico de Gallo. If you want something with a little less heat, opt for jalapeños.
- Onion: For this recipe, I like white onion best; but you can also use red onion.
- Fresh Garlic
- Fresh Cilantro
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Olive Oil…not pictured
- Cucumbers…optional, also not pictured.
How To Make Pico De Gallo
The awesome thing about making fresh salsa is that it is super easy. The only step is to cut everything up, add it to a bowl, and stir to combine.
STEP 1: PEPPERS + ONION
Dice the peppers, onions, and garlic. Combine with the salt and lime juice. Set aside. You can use less onion, if you prefer.
For a less spicy salsa, remove the seeds and the white membranes from the peppers.
STEP 2: TOMATOES
Dice the tomatoes. Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and then dice them into small pieces.
STEP 3: ADD THE Tomatoes and then The Cilantro
Add the diced tomatoes and the minced cilantro to a bowl. Add a little salt and pepper. I also add a small amount of olive oil.
STEP 4: STIR TOGETHER
Stir all of the ingredients together. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve either chilled or at room temperature with tortilla chips or with your favorite Mexican cuisine.
This Traditional Pico De Gallo Recipe hardly needs instructions. But here’s a visual of every single step!
FAQS AND HELPFUL TIPS
If you need to freeze your pico de gallo, you’ll lose the fresh texture that really makes this dish. Try giving it a quick puree in your favorite blender to preserve the flavors you love!
Pico de Gallo is a type of salsa also known as Salsa Fresca. One thing about Pico de Gallo is that it is never cooked. Other versions of salsa may or may not be cooked. Salsa typically has a thinner consistency.
Pico de Gallo will keep in the fridge for at least a week. Store it in an airtight container. This chunky fresh salsa will get better as it sits in the refrigerator.
Hungry for more Mexican Salsa Recipes?
If you want even more salsa recipes — I’ve got you covered! Here are a few of my absolute favorites.
Did you know you can also make Salsa Fresca with fresh fruits? I have a few fruit salsa recipes for you to try.
What to Eat With Pico De Gallo
- Eggs: This fresh juicy salsa is delicious on eggs. Try it on a frittata or an omelet. I also love to make Breakfast Tacos or a Breakfast Burrito.
- Mexican recipes: There is no end to the Mexican recipes that you can pair with pico de gallo. Fish Tacos, Enchiladas, Carne Asada Tacos, and Shredded Beef Tacos are just a few that I have here on the blog.
- Tortilla Chips.
- Burrito Bowls
Homemade Pico de Gallo Recipe
- Dice the onions, the garlic, and the serrano pepper. Add the diced vegetables to a non reactive bowl. Add the salt and the lime juice. Set aside.2 serrano peppers, 1 cup onion, 2 tsp kosher salt, 1 lime
- Dice the tomatoes and add them to the bowl.4 cups fresh tomatoes
- Add the diced cilantro and the olive oil.½ cup fresh cilantro, 2 tsp olive oil
- Toss the ingredients together. Season with black pepper and more salt if needed.1 tsp black pepper
- Optional: Add diced cucumber.1 cucumber
Laura’s Tips + Notes
YOUR OWN NOTES
Sign In to add your own private notes