Everyday is Taco Tuesday! Right? This easy Pico de Gallo will blow your socks off—it's so deliciously addictive. Get your tortilla chips ready, or even throw it into your favorite taco salad or burrito bowl. Let's go!
You'll love this salsa—trust me
- Versatile: This Pico de Gallo pairs great with eggs, on your favorite tacos, tossed on a salad, or with your favorite grilled meats and veggies.
- Snackalicious: Grab your favorite tortilla chips and scoop away! Be warned—it's addictive.
- Easy: This salsa fresca is so quick and easy; simply dice and get to eating!
If you love Mexican food, this Pico de Gallo will serve up the flavors you love! This salsa is so easy and refreshing—perfect for the summer months.
Ingredients you'll need
- Tomatoes: Make sure you use fresh, ripe tomatoes. Or, swap out any fruit, like pineapple, mango, and watermelon.
- Peppers: Serrano peppers are a spicy addition to this Pico de Gallo. If you want something with a little less heat, opt for jalapeños.
- Aromatics: Onions, garlic, and cilantro. For this salsa recipe, I like using white onions!
- Citrus: Lime or lemon juice add the acidity that every salsa needs. While lime juice is preferred, feel free to use lemon juice if you're in a pinch. So yummy!
Step by Step Instructions
The awesome thing about making fresh salsa is that it is super easy. The only step is to cut everything up and add it to a bowl, stir to combine.
STEP 1: Serrano pepper + onion
Dice the peppers , onions, and garlic. Combine with the salt and lime juice. Set aside.
Step 2: Tomatoes
Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and then dice them.
Step 3: Add the diced tomatoes to the bowl
Step 4: Add Cilantro
Step 5: Stir together
Stir all of the ingredients together. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve with tortilla chips or with your favorite tacos.
This easy salsa recipe hardly needs instructions. But here's a visual of every single step!
PRO TIP: If you want to make a roasted salsa, simply roast the tomatoes and peppers (whole), along with your onions and garlic. Once everything is charred, removed the seeds and add to your food processor or blender.
FAQs and Helpful Tips
If you need to freeze your pico de gallo, you'll lose the fresh texture that really makes this dish. Try giving it a quick puree in your favorite blender to preserve the flavors that you love so much!
Pico de Gallo is type of salsa also known as Salsa Fresca. One thing about Pico de Gallo is that it is never cooked. Other versions of salsa may or may not be cooked. Salsa typically has a thinner consistency.
Pico de Gallo will keep in the fridge for at least a week. Store it in an airtight container. This chunky fresh salsa will actually get better as it sits in the fridge.
Eat more salsa!
If you want even more salsa recipes — I've got you covered! Here are a few of my absolute favorites.
Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)
- Dice and chop all of the vegetables. Add to a large non-reactive bowl.
- Add lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss and serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.