This Lemon Drop Martini made with icy cold Limoncello is the most delicious summer cocktail. A lemon drop is a light and refreshing vodka martini with a fresh burst of tart 🍋 lemony sweetness.
This summer cocktail recipe is one of my cocktails with limoncello.
A lemon drop martini is classically made with fresh lemon juice, vodka, and Cointreau, which is an orange-flavored liqueur. This cocktail recipe is also made with limoncello.
I love everything lemon and I thought it was about time to bring you my favorite lemon summer cocktail recipe. I hope you'll love this recipe as much as I do.
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
- 🍋 Lemony. If lemon is your thing this refreshing lemon drop martini is sure to be your jam.
- Easy. This cocktail is super easy to make and even easier to drink.
- Make a batch. You can make this recipe as a batch cocktail to serve in a 35-ounce beverage container and keep it on ice to serve at a backyard cookout.
Top Martini Tips
- Chill everything. Chill your martini glasses in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. Icey cold vodka is also a win-win in martin recipes.
- Use crushed ice. Using crushed ice in your cocktail shaker gives this martini cocktail an icey cold mouth feel.
- Coat the rim with fine sugar flavored with lemon.
- Garnish with a twist of lemon or a lemon wheel.
What You'll Need
- Vodka. I used Ocean vodka, which an organic quality vodka from Hawaii. It's made from sugar cane and is super delicious.
- Limoncello. I used my homemade Limoncello. However, you can use any brand of limoncello that you like.
- Cointreau. Cointreau or Triple sec, which is an orange liqueur, can be used to add a bright citrus note to this lemon drop recipe.
- Lemon Juice. Freshly squeezed lemon juice is always best.
- Lemon Sugar*. Lemon sugar is used to rim the glass of this cocktail. You can buy lemon sugar or make your own by adding the zest of one lemon + ½ cup sugar to a food processer and processing the sugar until it is super fine. (see notes)
How to Make a Lemon Drop
A lemon martini cocktail should be super cold. The liquor can even be stored in the freezer ahead of time so that it is freezer cold. It's also a good idea to chill your martini glasses in the freezer. They will get that frosty chill in about 10 minutes.
- Chill. Start by chilling the alcohol and glass at least a few hours before.
- Mix. Add the crushed ice and the alcohol to a shaker and shake gently to mix.
- Serve. Serve with a twist of lemon zest.
Planning for a party. If you having a cookout planned then you can make this lemon martini recipe up as a batch cocktail (see recipe card) and then store it on ice.
I love to use my Weck beverage pitchers for this.
Storing + Freezing Tips
How to store
If you want to make a large batch of this Lemon Drop Martini Recipe you can store it in the fridge or in the freezer until you're ready to bring it out.
If it's warm out you can freeze this lemon cocktail for several hours before the party it may get a tiny bit slushy, but it will thaw super quickly and then be ice cold when you serve it.
More Cocktail Recipes
FAQs and Expert Tips
Lemon Drop Recipe with Limoncello
- 1 ½ fl ounces Vodka
- 1 ½ fl ounces Limoncello
- ½ fl ounce Cointreau
- ⅔ ounces Lemon juice
- Crushed ice
- Lemon sugar to rim the glass
Make 2 Lemon Drops
- 3 fl ounces Vodka
- 3 fl ounces Limoncello
- 1 fl ounce Cointreau
- 1 ⅓ fl ounces Lemon juice
Lemon Drop Batch Cocktail (Makes 35 Ounces or 8 Cocktails)
- 12 fl ounces Vodka (3 cups)
- 12 fl ounces Limoncello (3 cups)
- 4 fl ounces Cointreau (½ cup)
- 10 ½ fl ounces Lemon juice
- Chill your martini glasses in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove them right before you are ready to pour your cocktails and rim with superfine lemon sugar.
- Add crushed ice to your cocktail shaker.
- Add the vodka, limoncello, Cointreau, and the lemon juice to the shaker.
- Shake vigerously and pour into a glass rimmed with lemon sugar.
Laura's Tips + Notes
- Add the zest of one lemon + ½ cup of superfine sugar to a food processer fitted with an S-blade.
- Process the sugar and the lemon zest until it is super fine.