When it's Soup Weather, I crave a big bowl of this Spicy Chorizo Soup? It's packed with veggies and even makes kale taste delicious! This soup is hearty and filling. It's the best kind of comfort food.
If it's the weekend you'll probably find me at the farmer's market.
My daughter and I have made a weekend thing of getting up and heading out to grab some fresh fruits and vegetables and some yummy brunch at one of the food stands that are ever-present at the farmers market. Some of our favorites are Indian food and Poki.
I love the farmer's market for many reasons. One, I like supporting local small agriculture. Local farmers and ranchers feed us. As they work really hard, I want the money I spend on my food to go directly back into their pockets. Two, I like seeing what's in season and getting to know the people that are part of my local food system.
I stroll through the pop-up covered booths searching for the inspiration for my next edible creation. It's like foraging but with a higher probability that you are going to find what you need!
This week I hit the jackpot. I scored some spicy chorizo from Prather Ranch.
Prather Ranch is known for its high quality grass-fed pasture-raised beef.
Their beef is never fed corn. This small-production ranch turns out extremely high-quality dry-aged beef.
If you aren't in Northern California, no worries. You can easily order meat directly from Prather Ranch Meat Company.
They not only have beef; but also, chicken, pork, and lamb. Quality meat is a big deal when it comes to health and cooking.
Responsible ranching is also a big deal when it comes to our environment. This is why I chose to support local small agriculture whenever I can. It is a little more expensive, but it is an investment in the future - both yours and theirs!
With my Spicy Chorizo - I made soup.
I love soup this time of year.
I'm an Island girl at heart. I need the beach and the warm sun on my skin to feel happy. But sometimes I'll settle for some big fluffy socks and a warm bowl of soup.
Soup is also the perfect thing to make for meal prep.
You can make a lot of it. Most of the time it freezes well. It's easy to pack and reheat at work. It offers everything you need inside – protein, veggies, and warm, delicious bone broth. Soup is practically the perfect meal.
- Easy Turkey Soup Recipe
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Smoky Black Bean Soup with Ham
- Split Pea Soup Recipe
- Classic Potato Soup Recipe
- Beef Stew
- Firehouse Chili
- Vietnamese Pho Tai
- Homemade Bone Broth
- Dumpling Noodle Soup
- Classic Gazpacho Recipe
- Vegan Lentil Stew
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going on in your kitchen. Please show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Spicy Chorizo Soup
- 1 lb Spicy Chorizo
- 3 stalks celery diced (~1 cup)
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced (~1.5 cups)
- 1 large onions peeled and diced (~2 cups)
- 1 bunch lacinato kale de stemmed and chopped (~4 cups)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Brown the chorizo in a heavy-bottomed pan set to medium high heat. I usually use my favorite Staub Dutch Oven for soups. [If there is an excess amount of fat in the pan you can remove some of it. I usually just leave it.]
- Add the celery, carrots, and onions to the pot and sauté until fragrant and tender. 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the lacinato kale and sauté for a few minutes, until wilted.
- Add chicken broth.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. You may not need to add much as the chorizo already has so much flavor.