This post may contain affiliate links. Please read mydisclosure policy.
I’m all about summer grilling! This BBQ sauce has become my sidekick during the summer months. Imagine your favorite grilled chicken or pork slathered with a rich, spicy-sweet, peach-bourbon barbecue sauce. How can you resist?
I could cook on the grill every day. I love grilled meats and veggies and get so excited about outside. The easy cleanup is just a bonus that comes with throwing everything on the grill—who needs pots and pans?
Pair this tangy sauce with the tastiest pork skewers. Plus: There’s bacon between the chunks of pork! Now it’s a party!
Peaches and Bourbon – Is there a better combination?
Being a bourbon fan myself, I might hold a little bit of prejudice here. Because if we’re being honest, bourbon goes with just about everything, right?
This sweet and spicy barbecue sauce has the perfect amount of sweet heat. The peaches and the panela sugar create a sweet caramelly flavor, while the bourbon and cayenne give it a nice, spicy kick.
The little details can take a recipe from pretty good to amazing! You can’t quite reproduce the rich flavor of panela with brown or white sugar. Of course, this barbecue sauce is delicious either way, but the panela sugar makes this sweet bbq sauce exceptional.
What you’re going to love about this recipe
- Sweet and tangy: This BBQ sauce has the perfect mix of sweet and tangy flavors.
- Versatile: Peach Bourbon BBQ Sauce is good on grilled pork, grilled shrimp, and definitely amazing on Grilled Chicken. You can also use it on my yummy Baked Chicken Thighs.
- Made with wholesome ingredients: You know everything that goes into this homemade BBQ sauce. Free of preservatives and stabilizers!
Foodology Geek Recipe Notes
Making barbecue sauce from scratch isn’t as hard as you think. The hardest part is waiting. You just cook it low and slow, and end up with amazing flavor.
When you make homemade barbecue sauce, you can leave out all the bad stuff like corn syrup and preservatives.
This barbecue recipe is made without ketchup. This is the best homemade bbq sauce I have ever made. This sauce gets its sweetness from the peaches and sprinkle of panela sugar.
- Bourbon: Use a good bourbon. I always opt for a spirit that I would actually drink.
- Fresh peaches: Find ripe yellow peaches. Yellow peaches have more peach flavor than white peaches.
- Sweet onions: I use sweet yellow onions for this recipe. Vidalia onions, if you can find them, are perfect.
- Sugar: I highly recommend going out of your way to buy the panela sugar. You can find panela sugar in just about every Hispanic grocery store. Or if you don’t have a Hispanic market in your area, you can order it here.
- Spices: All spice, cinnamon, cayenne, ground mustard, and smoked paprika are the flavor components in this yummy barbecue sauce.
- Tomato paste and vinegar: Tomato paste and vinegar add richness and an acidic balance of flavor.
Step by Step Instructions
- Caramelize the onions and peaches: Start by caramelizing onions in a little bit of oil or butter in a medium to large saucepan. Then add in the peaches. Cook the peaches until they are soft.
- Add the spices: Add a little bit of tomato paste, the apple cider vinegar, and a few spices.
- Cook it low and slow: Set the heat to simmer and then let your tangy-sweet barbecue sauce cook down until it’s as thick as you want it. I usually simmer my sauce for at least an hour.
- Blend (optional): I use an immersion blender for this recipe to get my sauce a little bit smoother. You can also toss this sauce into a high powered mixer.
Why go through all that effort if you can’t keep it awhile. When I have made this barbecue sauce, I have kept it in an airtight container for around one month. Homemade barbecue sauce doesn’t hang around too long at my house. We usually eat it way before it goes bad.
What goes with BBQ sauce?
This Peach-Bourbon BBQ Sauce recipe is a Keeper!
There are some recipes that I keep making over and over again, and these BBQ Pork Skewers with Peach Bourbon BBQ Sauce are most definitely in the rotation.
Hungry For More BBQ Recipes
- BBQ Sauce Recipe (Sweet and Spicy)
- Pulled Pork Beast Bowl
- Smoked Ribs
- Smoked Pulled Pork
- Bacon Rubbed Pork Kebabs
Peach Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 2 tsp Coconut oil, or butter
- 4 fresh peaches, peeled and diced
- ½ sweet onion, finely diced or shredded
- 4 cloves Garlic, pressed
- ½ cup Panela Sugar, or brown sugar
- ½ cup Bourbon
- 3 tbsp Tomato paste
- 3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp Allspice
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper, you can use more if you like a little more spice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Ground mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, and peaches to a medium-sized saucepan.
- Cook on medium-high until peaches are soft and the sauce starts to caramelize and thicken. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Time may vary depending on how ripe your peaches are.
- Add the tomato paste, and sugar. Allow it to incorporate into the fruit.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and bourbon. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the temperature and add spices. Simmer to let spices infuse into sauce.
Laura’s Tips + Notes
YOUR OWN NOTES
Sign In to add your own private notes