Crostini smothered with lemon-scented goat cheese then topped with perfectly browned mushrooms with butter and thyme. This appetizer is so easy but super impressive. You'll look like a 5-star chef at your next dinner party.
I love having dinner parties. But, I don't like being stuck in the kitchen while everyone else is having fun!
Easy appetizer recipes are the solution! You can make them ahead of time and when the party starts you can mingle just like everyone else.
I had this appetizer at a friend's wedding reception.
I remember thinking how wonderful the flavors were in that mushroom crostini.
The flavors were simple: rich tangy goat cheese with a bright bite of lemon zest. The mushrooms had a buttery-thyme flavor. The combination was perfect.
Why I love this Mushroom Bruschetta Appetizer Recipe
- I love crunchy and savory appetizers.
- This recipe is easy and has only a few simple ingredients.
- Mushroom Bruschetta is gorgeous and every time I serve it my guests want to have the recipe.
Ingredients You'll Need to Make Mushroom Bruschetta
- Bread: Make sure it's a good sourdough or french baguette. Slice it on the diagonal. The slices should be about a half-inch thick.
- Goat Cheese: Find an unflavored goat cheese.
- Butter: I always cook with unsalted butter.
- Fresh Lemons: Buy organic unwaxed lemons if you can. You'll be using the zest in this recipe.
- Mushrooms: I usually use baby bella mushrooms for this recipe.
- Fresh Thyme: You can usually find fresh herbs in the produce section. I have mine in the yard. Using fresh thyme really makes a difference in this recipe.
How to make Mushroom Bruschetta
Make the Mushroom Filling:
Start by warming the butter in a larges skillet.
You want to have enough room to spread the sliced mushrooms out so that they can get brown.
Add the sliced mushroom and salt and pepper. Sauté until the mushrooms are a nice golden brown. Remove from the heat and toss with the fresh thyme.
Make the Lemon-Scented Goat Cheese
Once the goat cheese is at room temperature, add the zest and pepper. Mix well, using a fork or spatula. Add a little bit of cream or milk to thin the mixture to a spreadable consistency.
Toast the Crostini
Slice the baguette into half-inch slices. Make sure to slice the bread on the diagonal so that you have a larger surface area. Place them on a baking sheet and toast in the oven at 325℉. Watch the bread closely.
You can also use a toaster oven to toast your crostini.
For an extra layer of flavor, I like to rub the toasted crostini with raw fresh garlic cloves. This step adds a spicy garlicky note to the bread.
Assembling the Mushroom Bruschetta
- Butter each crostini with about a teaspoon or so of goat cheese.
- Top with a few of the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with more fresh thyme if desired. This adds beautiful color to the dish.
Bruschetta is a versatile recipe that can be made a million different ways.
The basic concept is Bread + Topping = A Delicious Appetizer.
As long as you follow this general formula, you can't go wrong.
Can I use Gluten-Free Bread?
Yes, absolutely. There are a lot of really good gluten-free bread options available these days. You can use a gluten-free sandwich loaf and cut the pieces into squares or triangles before toasting.
Can I make this recipe Dairy-Free
Yes, you can use a store-bought vegan cheese variety, such as Kite-Hill or try your hand at making my super simple Spreadable Cashew Cheese. You can adjust the herbs and spices in this cheese if desired.
More of my favorite appetizer recipes to try
If you are looking for more party pleasing appetizers, give a few of these a try!
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls - Crunchy and spicy! Serve with blue cheese dip!
- Ham and Cheese Palmiers - These are fun to make and impressive to serve.
- Savory Roasted Nuts - Perfectly spiced and totally addictive.
- Avocado Deviled Eggs - Topped with crispy bacon and fresh tomatoes.
- Guacamole and Salsa - Chips and dips will never be happier.
Did you make this recipe? If you loved it, make sure you leave a 5-star review and a comment! 👇
I love to hear from you! ➡️Follow me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram, OR Pinterest.
Mushroom and Goat Cheese Bruschetta
- 1 sourdough baguette sliced ½ inch sliced, toasted
- raw garlic cloves for rubbing hot toasted bread
Goat Cheese Spread
- 5 oz goat cheese
- 1 lemon zest of one lemon
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 8 stems fresh thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice sourdough baguette into ½ inch slices.
- Toast until crispy. Watch closely. You can do this in a toaster oven or on a baking sheet at 400℉.
Goat Cheese Spread
- Add goat cheese, lemon zest, and pepper to a small food processor. Pulse until mixed.
- Add cream until the texture is like that of a nice spreadable butter.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in a french skillet (or a large surface skillet) on medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, salt generously.
- Saute mushrooms until they are a deep golden brown.
- Reduce heat and add thyme.
- Optional step: If you LOVE garlic, rub the toasted bread with a piece of raw garlic.
- Butter each slice with a sufficient amount of goat cheese.
- Top with golden mushrooms.