Broccoli Cheese Soup is creamy, dreamy, and perfect for cold days. This easy soup recipe is delicious and full of healthy veggies and creamy cheese.
Since I've had to adjust my diet this year, I'm making a lot more low-carb recipes.
I hadn't really planned on creating low-carb or keto recipes, but it seems like my body had something different in mind.
Since I've changed up my diet I feel so much better! All of my inflammation has disappeared and I have so much energy.
This keto broccoli cheese soup was one of the first keto recipes that I made and I've been keeping it on repeat. It's so good, it freezes well, and It's delicious for a quick and easy lunch or a dinner paired with a fat salad!
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
Homemade broccoli and cheese soup is a classic comfort food recipe. It's warm and creamy and always delicious.
- Easy. This broccoli and cheese soup recipe is super easy. It's a one-pot recipe, so clean-up is easy too.
- Low carb & keto. Traditional broccoli and cheese soup is thickened with flour. To make this recipe keto, we are using xanthan gum as a thickener. This also makes this recipe gluten-free.
- Freezes well. Luckily this easy broccoli and cheese soup freezes beautifully. So, go ahead and make a double batch.
This broccoli soup recipe is low-carb and gluten-free. Traditionally broccoli cheese soup has wheat flour in it, using a roux to get that thick and creamy texture. We are going to sub in xanthan gum to keep this recipe as low carb as possible.
What You'll Need
- Broccoli. This recipe calls for 4 cups of broccoli florets. I usually buy 2 or 3 broccoli crowns depending on how large they are.
- Celery. 2 stalks of celery diced.
- Onions. White or sweet yellow onions are fine for this recipe..
- Broth. Chicken broth or vegetable broth both work for this recipe.
- Cheddar. I like using a mixture of sharp cheddar and white cheddar. White cheddar is a little bit milder in flavor. A box grater makes quick work of shredding.
- Heavy cream. Use heavy cream because heavy cream has the least amount o milk sugar and therefore is the lowest carb dairy. You can also sub in coconut milk or almond milk.
- Thickener. Xanthan gum is essential in your keto kitchen. It's used to thicken and emulsify. It's a low carb stand-in for gluten.
- Spices. The spices in broccoli and cheddar soup are simple. Nutmeg, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
Step 1 Start by sauteing your veggies in the butter.
Sauté the celery and onions in butter until they are fragrant. 3 to 5 minutes. Then add in the broccoli stems. Let them cook for another 5 minutes.
Step 2 Add in the broccoli and the chicken stock.
Add the chicken broth and the broccoli florets to the dutch oven. Cook until the broccoli is tender.
Step 3 Puree, if desired.
Use a stick blender to puree the soup until it is smooth and creamy. If you don't have a stick blender you can also use a blender.
Step 4 Add in the heavy cream and the cheddar cheese.
The heavy cream and the cheddar cheese will melt into the soup. To thicken the soup, mix the oil and the xanthan gum together then add it to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil and allow it to thicken.
FAQs and Expert Tips
This broccoli and cheddar soup has a total of 10 grams of carbs and only 6 net grams of carbs.
It depends on how you are counting.
Yes. Absolutely, this broccoli and cheese soup is definitely low carb because we left out the flour. With only 6 net carbs you can be sure you'll stay in ketosis.
Yes, as long as you make sure to check the ingredients. Some creamy soups, especially canned soups have flour in them.
More Yummy Soups That You’ll Love
- Spicy Chorizo Soup
- Paleo Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
- Ham and Black Bean Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Low Carb Beef Stew
- Split Pea Soup
What to Serve With Broccoli And Cheddar Soup
This creamy broccoli soup recipe is fabulous on its own. However, if you're looking to turn this into a more substantial meal you can serve this with a nice green salad or a heartier Harvest Salad.
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going on in your kitchen. Please show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli florets and brocolli stems, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups cheddar (about 8 ounces) Use a mixture of sharp and white cheddar. More for garnishing.
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon oil I use MCT oil or avocado oil.
- Add the butter, the diced onion, and diced carrot to a dutch oven. Heat over medium high heat until the veggies are softened and the onions are clear.
- Add the broccoli florets, the chicken broth, and the seasonings. Cover and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- NOTE: if you want a smooth soup you can use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Mix together the oil and xanthan gum. Add this mixture to the soup and bring the soup to a boil.
- Add in the heavy cream and the shredded cheddar cheese. Heat gently until all the cheese is melted.
- Serve in bowls top with extra shredded cheddar, if desired.