This vegetable soup with lentils and wild rice is really easy to make and super satisfying. Full of healthy vegetables and a rich tomato broth. This soup is made with just a few simple ingredients.
I love soup! Soup is so versatile, it can be anything you want it to be. Soup can be cold, soup can be hot. It can be brothy or creamy, chunky or smooth. Whatever you are in the mood for you can find a soup to satisfy your craving!
When you're busy it’s really important to find food that you can fit in and stretch throughout the week. I have become a master weekend food prepper, and soup is a huge part of my menu. I try to make one soup every week, and this one is great for eating on busy weeknights and for lunches. It is packed full of healthy vegetables, with a few grains and legumes for extra protein and heartiness.
Food Prep Zen - Find It!
To master the art of food prep you have to always be on top of what you have left in your fridge and freezer, and soups are a great way to use up extra veggies that you bought for other recipes.
There are a few staples that I always have on hand, like onions, carrots, and celery. These are the classic base for a soup, roast beef, or even chicken. In classic cooking circles, it is referred to as a mirepoix, and almost every type of cuisine has some version of this – think of it as the basic flavor punch that you need to get a dish started. (Check out a great article on this essential flavor building step here.) This is a basic skill that you need to know if you want to make food tasty – and I know you want to make your food tasty!
I hope you enjoy this soup and the freedom that it will bring you this week. It can free you up at least one night in the kitchen and of course a few packed lunches... DONE!
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going on in your kitchen. Please show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Vegetable Soup with Lentils and Wild Rice
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium to large zucchini chopped
- 2 cups lacinato kale stems removed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 28 oz canned chopped tomatoes
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups wild rice and legume blend from whole foods (or sub ¾ cup wild rice and ¾ up lentils)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot.
- Add the diced onion, carrot, and celery to pot over medium-high heat. Add a little salt and sauté until the onions are clear.
- Add the diced zucchini, sauce for a few minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, wild rice mixture, and kale.
- Bring the entire pot to a boil, then reduce the soup to a simmer and simmer until the rice and lentils are tender. About 20 minutes.