These warm and flavorful sweet potatoes are sure to impress at any holiday dinner. Honestly, you'll want to make them all year long because they're so easy and delicious.
Thanksgiving is right around the corner! It's time to get your holiday cooking planned and organized.
A lot of the times Holiday recipes are loaded with sugar and fat. It seems like no matter where you turn there is another unhealthy dish being served to you.
If you're trying to eat clean the holidays can be completely overwhelming. This recipes will give you everything you are craving in a holiday side without being loaded with unhealthy processed sugars.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
If you're in need of a healthier version of the usual holiday sweet potatoes – This Is It! These sweet potatoes are vegan and paleo. They aren't loaded with sugar so you can feel great about eating them.
- Super Easy: These roasted sweet potatoes are incredibly easy to make. Making this dish is as simple as peeling, dicing, and tossing sweet potatoes in a little seasoning.
- Savory-Sweet: The flavor combination is the perfect amount of savory with just a hint of sweetness. Adding some pecans makes this dish feel a little bit fancy!
- Healthy: This recipe is delicately sweetened with a little bit of maple syrup, so they aren't too sweet. Add coconut oil, pumpkin pie spice mix, and just a touch of rosemary.
- Sweet Potatoes: The sweet potatoes in the produce department are actually yams. I usually use jeweled or garnet yams.
- Maple Syrup: Use real maple syrup for this recipe. You don't want to use pancake syrup which is usually just corn syrup with artificial maple flavoring.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix: You can use any brand you like. I make my own.
- Pecans: Nuts are optional in this recipe. I like the texture that toasted pecans give this recipe.
- Fresh rosemary: Fresh rosemary gives this recipe a lovely savory flavor.
A Note about Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
Our family's pumpkin pie recipe has a magical ratio of spices that I have never been able to get in a commercial pumpkin pie spice, so I make it myself!
Ingredients in pumpkin pie spice mix:
- 7 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons of ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons of ground nutmeg
- Peel and Dice: Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Season: Season the potatoes with the Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix, the rosemary, and a little salt. Then add the maple syrup and toss well.
- Roast: Add a little bit of coconut oil to the potatoes and toss well. Roast until the potatoes are tender and golden brown.
Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425 ℉.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes.
- Toss with oil, maple syrup, rosemary, pumpkin pie spice, salt and pecans.
- Place the sweet potatoes and nuts on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan. Cover with foil and roast for 10 minutes at 425℉.
- Reduce the temperature to 350℉ and then cook until the potatoes tare ender. Approximately 20-30 more minutes. Oven cooking times may vary.
- Remove the foil and let the sweet potatoes turn a golden brown in the oven.
- 7 Tbsp of cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp of ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp of ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp of ground nutmeg