Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Making homemade cranberry sauce is easy with this microwaveable recipe. Start with fresh cranberries, sugar, and brandy. Yes, I said brandy. This recipe is fast, easy, and a real crowd-pleaser.
Don’t let this classic Thanksgiving recipe get away from you. I get so many requests for this recipe. BONUS, I use any leftovers to make my Cranberry Sauce Coffee Cake.
There’s just something special about that dollop of sweet and tangy red cranberry sauce and a bite of savory turkey.
Some people love the nostalgia of a cylindrical mold of cranberry gel that you can slice, and others couldn’t fathom a cranberry sauce made with anything but fresh cranberries like this Mulled Cranberry Sauce Recipe made with wine, spices, and oranges.
I like my cranberry sauce easy to make, and it doesn’t get any easier than this microwaveable recipe. I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, and she usually has the honor of bringing it to Thanksgiving dinner every year.
When I have leftovers, I make my Sour Cream Coffee Cake for brunch when we go Christmas tree hunting.If you don’t have enough leftover cranberry sauce, make another batch in no time because this recipe is so easy.
What you’ll love about this recipe
- Sweet and tangy: This cranberry sauce is sweet and tangy with an extra kick of flavor from the brandy.
- Super easy: You make this recipe in the microwave. Everyone knows I make everything from scratch, so microwaving something kind of feels like cheating. But it’s such a good cheat for this recipe.
I like the chunkiness of a fresh cranberry sauce. My mouth is watering as I think about the perfect sweet tanginess of this homemade cranberry sauce.
Cranberry Sauce Recipe Ingredients
This recipe only has three ingredients. Yup, it’s that easy.
- Fresh Cranberries
- Step 1: Add the cranberries and the sugar to a glass bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- Step 2: Microwave on High for 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Remove from the microwave and take off the plastic wrap very carefully to avoid steam. Add ¼ cup of brandy, stir, and yep you’re done!
If you are in the mood for a fancier, truly gourmet cranberry sauce recipe: Here is my Mulled Cranberry Sauce.
The mulled cranberry sauce uses fresh cranberries, wine, spices, and a nice bottle of wine with orange and all the spices. Make it ahead and let it simmer on the stove while you’re cooking the rest of your Thanksgiving dinner.
This spiced cranberry sauce smells AMAZING while it’s cooking.
FAQs and Expert Tips
You can add orange zest, nuts, and spices to cranberry sauce, and I also like to add crushed pineapple once in a while.
Cranberry sauce thickens as it simmers on the stove. The sugar extracts the water out of the cranberries. Simmering allows the water to evaporate and the sauce to thicken.
Keep in mind that it will get even thicker as it cools.
Adding sugar and orange juice will counteract the bitterness of cranberries.
More Holiday Cranberry Recipes
- Cranberry Sauce Coffee Cake– Sweet, moist coffee cake with cinnamon streusel. Add a ribbon of tangy cranberry sauce for the perfect holiday treat.
- Cranberry Apricot Bars – On the go or even at home these crunchy, sweet crannberry oat bars ar a decadent Fall treat.
- Cranberry Champagne Cocktail – uses fresh cranberries.
More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Spatchcock Turkey – Dry rubbed, extra juicy, and cooks in half the time.
- Sausage Stuffing – This Sage Sausage and Apple Stuffing is the perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
- Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes – Low sugar and super delicious.
- Green Bean Casserole – From scratch!
- Dinner Rolls – Fluffy and buttery homemade dinner rolls. What’s better for sopping up all of that turkey gravy.
- Turkey Gravy – Made with turkey drippings or turkey broth. Perfect homemade gravy every time.
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what’s going on in your kitchen. Show me what you’re cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries, 1 package of Ocean Spray cranberries
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brandy, or grand marnier
- Rinse the cranberries in a colander, drain and spread to dry on a lint towel.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine berries with sugar and mix to coat.
- Cover the sugar and cranberries with plastic wrap. Make sure it sealed well.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap. Be careful, the sugar is molten hot right now.
- Add brandy immediately. Stir to blend.
- Let Cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.