This Overnight Creme Brûlée French Toast is the perfect thing to make when you want a breakfast that looks ultra-fancy but need a recipe that's super easy. This overnight french toast bake is assembled the night before and then baked in the morning!
Growing up, my mom always made an Overnight Breakfast Casserole for Christmas morning, along with Cinnamon Rolls. Both of these are overnight dishes that you bake in the morning while everyone is opening up presents.
Overnight creme brulee french toast is genius! It's the perfect holiday brunch recipe. You won't have to be in the kitchen at all while everyone else is out having a good time.
Because you make this french toast with almost any bread, it's perfect for using up all the leftover rolls from the holiday dinner the night before.
What you're going to love about this recipe
- It's prepared in advance. You simply bake it when you are ready to eat it.
- It feeds a crowd.
- It's easily transported to a brunch potluck.
- Kids and adults both love it. I mean really, who doesn't love creme brulee?
Making overnight french toast is so simple; It barely needs any explanation. But, here are a few tips and tricks to make sure everything goes smoothly. Especially if you are making this late at night after a holiday party.
You can make this recipe with almost any day-old bread like this one with simple sliced white bread.
Ingredients For Baked French Toast
- Bread: Really, you can use any white bread to make this recipe. I usually use whatever I have on hand. French Bread, Brioche, and Challah are all good choices in this recipe. Croissants would also be fabulous. But, honestly, I've even made this with leftover hot dog and hamburger buns. That can be our secret! 🤫
- Caramel Sauce: Brown sugar and butter make a quick caramel sauce. I add a little maple syrup or corn syrup to help prevent the caramel from caramelizing.
- Custard: Heavy cream, eggs, sugar, and vanilla are used to make a custard base that bakes up to perfection. You can swap the heavy cream for a different type of milk if you want to.
- Toppings: Fresh Whipped Cream with berries and tossed pecans are absolutely fantastic with the creme brulee french toast.
How to Make French Toast Casserole
This baked french toast recipe is a really easy make ahead breakfast casserole. It also makes a fantastic dessert. Why save all this sweetness just for a holiday breakfast?
Step 1 Make The Caramel Sauce:
Step 2 Layer The Bread:
You can cut your bread into cubes or use slices of bread. Basically, add the bread to the baking pan in whatever fashion you see fit.
Step 3 Make The Custard:
Whisk together the eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla, and Grand Marnier (if you are using it.) Pour the custard sauce over the sliced bread!
Step 4 Refrigerate Overnight:
Cover the baked french toast casserole with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. If you're in a pinch you can refrigerate it for less time. I would probably give it a minimum of 2 hours.
Step 5 Bake:
In the morning, preheat your oven to 350℉ and bake then bake the creme brulee french toast casserole for 35-40 minutes.
Here are some other Sweet Breakfast Recipes
If you fell in love with this Creme Brulee French Toast Recipe, then here are a few more recipes that you are sure to love.
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Donuts
- Apple Cider Donuts
- Pumpkin Maple Oatmeal
- Overnight Oats (Four different flavors)
And a few more Savory Breakfast recipes.
- Polenta Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Veggie Frittata
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Duck Hash
- Paleo Breakfast Hash
Creme Brulee Overnight French Toast
- 1 loaf white bread brioche, or country-style bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- fresh berries
- chopped pecans
- whipped cream
- Make the Caramel Sauce: In a heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat. Stir until smooth. Pour into a 13 x 9" baking dish.
- Layer the Bread: Trim crusts off the bread. Arrange the bread in one or more layers in the baking dish. Squeeze the bread slightly for a snug fit in the pan. (The number of layers you have will depend upon the thickness of your bread. Standard sandwich bread will result in two layers.)
- Make the Custard: In a bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt until well combined. Pour over the bread. Cover and bread mixture and chill for at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.
- PRO-TIP: Throw this together just before you go to bed. It will be all ready to bake for breakfast in the morning.)
- Bake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring bread mixture to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered in the middle of the oven until puffed and the edges are pale golden brown. 35-40 minutes.