Warm-up with this delicious, spicy pumpkin curry soup recipe. If you love pumpkin the way I love pumpkin you have to give a bowl of warm delicious pumpkin soup a try.
I first got this recipe from my good friend, Aisling. She always claims to be a terrible cook, but everything she makes is always delicious.
Since then, I've been making this delicious pumpkin soup recipe every Thanksgiving. It's become a family tradition.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Easy: This pumpkin soup is the easiest soup you could ever make. Our recipe is made with canned pumpkin so there is almost no prep work.
- Warm and comforting: This soup is a family tradition in our house. When fall rolls around this pumpkin soup is a regular go-to.
This vegan pumpkin soup recipe is super easy. With only a few simple ingredients you can have a bowl of heatlhy soup on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- Pumpkin: Use canned pumpkin for this recipe. I have used roasted sugar pumpkin for this recipe a time or two.
- Milk: I use coconut milk in this recipe. Feel free to use any milk that you like or happen to have on hand. I also like adding a little creme fraiche or heavy creme as a garnish.
- Broth: Vegetable broth works best in this recipe because it has a subtle flavor.
- Spices: Curry powder, coriander, and crushed red pepper give this pumpkin soup it's lovely warm curry flavor.
Over the years I've tweaked this recipe just a bit. The original soup recipe called for dairy milk but suggested that you could swap out soy milk for a vegetarian version.
I ended up trying a few different vegan milk options, and finally fell in love with using coconut milk — the subtle flavor of the coconut milk marries perfectly with the curry and coriander spices in this soup.
PRO TIP: Use the coconut milk in the carton, not the canned version. My favorite brand is Silk. (Silk Brand is NOT sponsoring this post)
I've used freshly roasted sugar pumpkins to make this recipe. And of course, fresh pumpkin makes a delicious soup. But I've honestly found that making this pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin is still really good and the time-saving factor gained by not having to roast and clean a whole pumpkin is huge.
Ingredients for Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pepitas: Shelled pumpkin seeds.
- Oil: I like to use avocado oil in my cooking, especially or roasting nuts.
- Spices: Chili powder, coriander, Aleppo pepper (or crushed red pepper).
Step by Step Directions
- Sauté: Add the oil, onions, and the garlic to a heavy-bottomed soup pot. Sauté on medium-high heat until the onions and garlic are soft and fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients: Add the pumpkin, broth, milk, and spices.
- Simmer: Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
Roasted vegetables are a great accompaniment to pumpkin soup. My favorite roasted veggie medley includes eggplant, red bell peppers, and red onions.
Simply toss with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, then roast for about 20 minutes at 425 ℉.
Preheat your oven to 425℉
Place the entire pumpkin on a baking sheet and place it in the oven.
Roast for about an hour.
Remove the pumpkin and let it cool.
Once the pumpkin is cool, cut it in half and scoop out all the seeds.
Scoop out the pumpkin flesh.
This soup freezes really well. I like to freeze it in single-serving containers so that I can reheat it easily. It's perfect to pack for a work lunch. The soup will be mostly thawed by lunch and then you can reheat it in the microwave or 3 or 4 minutes.
- Easy Turkey Soup Recipe
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Smoky Black Bean Soup with Ham
- Split Pea Soup Recipe
- Classic Potato Soup Recipe
- Beef Stew
- Firehouse Chili
- Vietnamese Pho Tai
- Homemade Bone Broth
- Dumpling Noodle Soup
- Classic Gazpacho Recipe
- Vegan Lentil Stew
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going on in your kitchen. Please show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Pumpkin Spice Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 45 oz pumpkin either canned or fresh roasted sugar pumpkin
- 5 cups vegetable broth unsalted
- 2 cups coconut milk the one in the carton, not canned
- 2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
Roasted Spiced Pepitas
Extra for topping
- creme fraiche or heavy cream
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add coconut oil, diced onion, and diced garlic. Sauté until translucent and slightly golden.
- Add spices and pumpkin.
- Add vegetable broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and carefully use an immersion blender to blend in onions. Blend until smooth.
- Toss pepitas with spices, sugar, and oil.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, roast at 325℉ for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve in bowls or large mugs. Top with creme fraiche or heavy cream. Add roasted pepitas.
Laura's Tips + Notes
- Preheat your oven to 425℉
- Place the entire pumpkin on a baking sheet and place it in the oven.
- Roast for about an hour.
- Remove the pumpkin and let it cool.
- Once the pumpkin is cool, cut it in half and scoop out all the seeds.
- Scoop out the pumpkin flesh.