These apple dumplings are easy to make. In less than an hour, you can have sweet, cinnamony, pie crust-wrapped apples baked in a yummy caramel sauce. You have ice cream, right? Because seriously, if anything can make ice cream happier...it's these apple dumplings.
The last time I visited my Grandma Sisson, she whipped up a batch of these super easy apple dumplings for me.
My grandma always had a knack for throwing together something super fast, using just what she had on hand in the kitchen.
My Grandma Sisson had nine kids. She is the master of cooking for a lot of people! Her food is always simple but super delicious.
Shat you're going to love about this recipe
My husband described these apple dumplings as being “everything that he loves.”
- Super delicious pie crust
- Baked apple filling
- Gooey, doughy, caramel, sugary - with ice cream.
You may notice I wasn't on the list of everything he loves, we may have to talk about that later.
Ingredients for Homemade Apple Dumplings
- The Crust: All-purpose flour, butter, milk, and salt are all you need to make this simple pie crust.
- Apples: Five tart apples. I usually use fuji because that is what I keep in the fridge.
- The Caramel Sauce: Sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
My grandma always made her crust in a bowl and mixed everything with her hands. The apples she peeled with a paring knife and then cut the apples into approximately the same size chunks.
Watching her pull this recipe together in no time was pure joy!
- Preheat The Oven: to 350℉.
- Make The Pie Crust: Add the flour and salt to a bowl, whisk together with a fork. Add the diced butter and use your fingertips to pinch the butter into smaller pieces in the flour. You should end up with a rough dough mixture. Add the milk and stir together with a fork.
- Roll Out The Dough: Roll out the dough. It should be about a quarter-inch thick. Cut the dough into six pieces.
- The Apples: Peel and cut the apples into chunks. Add them to a bowl and toss with the sugar and spices.
- Make The Dumplings: Place one-sixth of the apple mixture onto each piece of dough. Fold up and seal. Place the dumplings in a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Make The Sugar Syrup: Add the ingredients for the sugar syrup to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once the sugar is dissolved, and the syrup is hot, pour it over the dumplings and then bake!
Recipe Variations and FAQs
Make this recipe with a different kind of fruit. Peaches or apricots would also work well in this recipe.
Other Recipes you might like
- You should definitely make some extra Caramel Sauce.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Classic Cheesecake
- Quick and Easy Apple Crisp
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going on in your kitchen. Please show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Grandma Sisson's Apple Dumplings
- 5 tart apples peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Add the flour and salt to a food processor. Pulse to mix.
- Add the diced butter. Pulse until the texture of coarse sand.
- Add the milk. Pulse to bring together.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface. Roll out and cut into 6 separate pieces.
Assembly and Baking
- Peel and slice 5 apples. Set aside.
- PRO-TIP: You can cover the apples in cold water, or squeeze on some fresh lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- Seal apples inside dough, resulting in 6 individual dumplings.
- Place the dumplings in a 9" x 9" baking dish.
- Make the caramel sauce in a saucepan. Once the sugar has melted pour over dumplings.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350℉ or until golden brown.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving with ice cream and extra caramel sauce.