The best DIY dog treats! These super easy homemade peanut butter dog treats are healthier and way cheaper than what you could buy in any store. You know exactly what goes into them.
My dog, Dexter loves the super simple dog treats. But, seriously what's not to love? They are basically peanut butter cookies for dogs.
I usually make my homemade treats with whole wheat flour, pumpkin, and peanut butter.
Of all the recipes I tried these healthy homemade dog treats were the easiest and seemed to be universally loved by all of the dogs that have ever snacked on them.
Once you make these, I think you'll agree that they are the best homemade dog treats.
What I love about these homemade dog biscuits.
- Knowing exactly what's in them: When you make your own dog biscuit recipe at home you know exactly what you are feeding your pets.
- Allergy-free: Because these are homemade pet treats you can swap out the ingredients if your dog has any allergies.
- Dexter loves these: My dog and all the dogs in my family, love these homemade dog treats.
Foodology Geek Recipe Notes
- Dry Ingredients: This recipe calls for whole wheat flour. However, if your dog is sensitive to grains you can swap out another type of flour. Almond flour is a good choice. Oat flour also works well in this recipe. You may have to adjust the amount to get the right consistency for rolling.
- Peanut Butter: I use creamy peanut butter when I make these dog cookies. You can use any nut butter as a substitution. But, dogs LOVE peanut butter so much!
- Pumpkin: Canned pumpkin puree is used in this recipe but you can use sweet potato or even apple sauce here if you don't have pumpkin on hand.
- Broth: Any kind of broth works in this recipe. I like to use my homemade bone broth to make these even more healthy!
- Cinnamon: I am not sure if the cinnamon adds a lot to this recipe. But I include anyways. The last time I made these, I was out of cinnamon and use pumpkin pie spice instead. Dexter didn't complain at all.
- Rolling Pin: A small rolling pin works fine for rolling out these cookies.
- Cookie Cutter: I have a cute bone and fire hydrant cookie cutter that I use in this recipe. Last year at Christmas I bought a pineapple cookie cutter! I made a batch of this healthy dog treat recipe shaped like little 🍍pineapples.
You can also find the cutest personalized dog bones on Etsy!
How to Make Homemade Dog Treats
This healthy homemade dog treat recipe is so easy to make you hardly need any instructions. Just remember if you are swapping out the whole wheat flour for a grain-free option, you may have to adjust the amount that you are using.
- Mix: Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl, mix with a wooden spoon.
- Dump: Once the mixture has come together, flour your work surface and dump out your dough.
- Make a Ball: Use your hands to knead the dough and form a ball.
- Roll: Roll out the dough. It should be about as thick and a standard size pencil. About a quarter-inch.
- Cut: Cut out whatever shape you have decided to use and place the dog biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake: Bake the biscuits for about 18 minutes. Adjust the timing depending on the size of your dog treats.
FAQs and Expert Tips
Probably the most common question I get on this post is about the spices in this recipe.
By all means, if you're not comfortable with the spices please leave them out. I'm sure your pooch will not complain one bit.
However, rest assured that cinnamon is not toxic to dogs. According to this article released by the Pet MD, some spices contained in pumpkin spice, such as nutmeg can be toxic to dog in large quantities.
More Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
- Homemade Dog Food - Delicious Table
- DIY Dog Food Recipe - Damn Delicious
- Peanut Butter and Bacon Dog Treat Recipe - Sally's Baking Addiction
- Homemade Dog Treats - Cesar Milan
- What Can Dogs Eat? - Breed Advisor
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going in your kitchen. Show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a 5 ★ review and a comment!
Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Peanut butter
- ½ cup Pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
- ½ cup Broth chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon optional: please see tips below
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir with a woden spoon or spatula. Once the dough is combined use your hands to make a large ball.
- Cut the dough in half. LIghtly flour your counter top and roll the dough out to about ¼-inch thick.
- Use your cookie cutter to cut out the dog treats and place them on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 minutes. You may need to cook your dog treats more or less time depending on the size. Keep an eye on them and check about halfway through baking.