The Hemingway Daiquiri is the perfect balance of tart and sweet. It's made with rum, maraschino liqueur, grapefruit, and lime juices. This famous cocktail is sophisticated and absolutely delicious.
The cocktail originated at Havana's El Floridita hotel bar, where the writer Ernest Hemingway spent many hours imbibing on this refreshing concoction.
It's rumored that Hemingway once consumed 16 of these in one sitting. He enjoyed this cocktail so much that it was called the Papa Dobles after his nickname, Papa Hemingway.
The Hemingway Daiquiri Recipe is a twist on the classic daiquiri, which is made with white rum, lime juice, and simple syrup. What makes this version so special is the addition of grapefruit juice and maraschino liqueur which has an indescribable wonderful floral note.
- White rum. Chose a white aged rum for this recipe.
- Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. This liqueur is essential for this cocktail. And don't be fooled this is not a cloyingly sweet liqueur. It is floral and wonderful.
- Rock candy syrup. Rock candy syrup us mad with 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. It's a rich simple syrup that is used in most cocktail recipes that need sweetning.
- Lime juice
- Grapefruit juice
- Crushed ice
How to Make a Hemingway Daiquiri
According to Hemingway's friend A. E. Hotchner, the original recipe, known as the Pap Dobles, was heavy on the booze and blended with crushed ice. It was then serve in large frosty goblets.
- Mix all of the indredients in a cocktail shaker filled with crushed ice.
- Shake vigourously for at 30 seconds and then strain the contents into a coupe or jack and jill glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel or a grapefruit peel or wedge.
Want to make the blended version?
If you'd like the idea of a slushy daiquiri feel free to whirl this tasty conncotion up in you blender with crushed ice.
To make a pitcher of frozen daiquiris simple adjust the recipe for 6 servings. Add crushed ice and blend until you have a frothy and icy frozen daiquiri.
Thirsty for more cocktail recipes?
So many cocktail, so little time. Try a few more of our refreshing rum cocktails.
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going on in your kitchen. Please show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Hemingway Daquiri Recipe
- 3 ½ oz white rum
- ½ oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
- 1 ½ oz pink grapefruit juice freshly squeezed
- ½ ox lime juice freshly squeezed
- ½ rock candy syrup optional (2:1, sugar to water)
- lime wheel or grapefruit peel
- Add all of the ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with crushed ice. Shake vigorously and pour into chilled coupe glasses.3 ½ oz white rum, ½ oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur, 1 ½ oz pink grapefruit juice, ½ ox lime juice, ½ rock candy syrup
- Garnish with a lime wheel or a grapefruit peel.
Laura's Tips + Notes
- Frozen blended version: To make a pitcher of frozen daiquiris simple adjust the recipe for 6 servings. Add crushed ice and blend until you have a frothy and icy frozen daiquiri.