The Hemingway Daiquiri is the perfect balance of tart and sweet. It’s made with rum, maraschino liqueur, grapefruit, and lime juice. This famous cocktail is sophisticated and delicious.
The cocktail originated at Havana’s El Floridita hotel bar, where the writer Ernest Hemingway spent many hours imbibing this refreshing concoction.
It’s rumored that Hemingway once consumed 16 of these in one sitting. He enjoyed this cocktail so much that it was called the Papa Dobles after his nickname, Papa Hemingway.
The Hemingway Daiquiri Recipe is a twist on the classic daiquiri, made with white rum, lime juice, and simple syrup. What makes this version so special is the addition of grapefruit juice and maraschino liqueur which has an indescribable wonderful floral note.
- White rum. Chose a white-aged rum for this recipe.
- Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. This liqueur is essential for this cocktail. And don’t be fooled this is not a cloyingly sweet liqueur. It is floral and wonderful.
- Rock candy syrup. Rock candy syrup is made with 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. It’s a rich simple syrup used in most cocktail recipes that need sweetening.
- Lime juice
- Grapefruit juice
- Crushed ice
How to Make a Hemingway Daiquiri
According to Hemingway’s friend A. E. Hotchner, the original recipe, known as the Papa Dobles, was heavy on the booze and blended with crushed ice. It was then served in large frosty goblets.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with crushed ice.
- Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds, then strain the contents into a coupe or jack and jill glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel or a grapefruit peel or wedge.
Want to make the blended version?
If you’d like the idea of a slushy daiquiri, feel free to whirl this tasty concoction up in your blender with crushed ice.
To make a pitcher of frozen daiquiris, adjust the recipe for 6 servings. Add crushed ice and blend until you have a frothy and icy frozen daiquiri.
Thirsty for more cocktail recipes?
So many cocktails, so little time. Try a few more of our refreshing rum cocktails.
- Brown Derby Cocktail
- Trader Vic’s Mai Tai
- The BEST Hawaiian Mai Tai
- The Blue Hawaii Cocktail
- The Siesta Cocktail
- White Wine Sangria
- Red Wine Sangria
- Homemade Simple Syrup
Hemingway Daquiri Recipe
- 3 ½ oz white rum
- ½ oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
- 1 ½ oz pink grapefruit juice , freshly squeezed
- ½ ox lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ rock candy syrup , optional (2:1, sugar to water)
- lime wheel, or grapefruit peel
- Add all of the ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with crushed ice. Shake vigorously and pour into chilled coupe glasses.3 ½ oz white rum, ½ oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur, 1 ½ oz pink grapefruit juice, ½ ox lime juice, ½ rock candy syrup
- Garnish with a lime wheel or a grapefruit peel.
Laura’s Tips + Notes
- Frozen blended version: To make a pitcher of frozen daiquiris simple adjust the recipe for 6 servings. Add crushed ice and blend until you have a frothy and icy frozen daiquiri.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Sign In to add your own private notes