This Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe was created in partnership with Kevin's Natural Foods. If you're looking for super easy keto Instant Pot recipes — this recipe is for you! All you need to know is how to make shredded chicken in an Instant Pot.
*Disclosure: I received samples from Kevin's Natural Foods in order to share my opinion about their products, but this is not a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.
I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for easy Instant Pot shredded chicken ideas. It makes the perfect lunch or dinner recipe. I chose to use the Lemongrass Basil Sauce to create a delicious, saucy pulled chicken.
I paired the chicken with sweet potato rounds and my Carrot and Apple Slaw. Top it all off with a cute sprig of summer basil, and it's bistro-worthy!
All of Kevin's Natural Foods sauces are paleo and keto-friendly. You can be sure this meal is not only super easy to make, it's also healthy. If you're following a keto diet and need easy keto recipes, Kevin's sauces are the easiest thing you will ever use and they are really tasty!
Kevin's Natural Foods is definitely in line with my motto of "real food for real." You know I love to make my own sauces, but sometimes, this cook needs the night off! On the days I really just don't feel like cooking, these sauces still keep my inner foodie happy and satisfied. Plus, this way, I don't spend any extra money on takeout!
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
- Easy. This recipe is so easy, it almost doesn't even count as a recipe. The sauce is pre-made, so you only have to add chicken.
- Fast. Thanks to the speed and convenience of an Instant Pot, this chicken cooks in no time.
- Nutritious. All of Kevin's sauces are keto and paleo, made with clean ingredients.
I used the Lemongrass Basil Sauce from Kevin's Natural Foods to make this recipe. You could easily sub in a different sauce, or you can use this sauce in a variety of soup recipes. I was really happy with how the shredded chicken came out in the Instant Pot. I would definitely use these sauces again.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 2 packages of Lemongrass Basil Sauce.
- 1 whole chicken. You can also use 4 chicken breasts or thighs instead of a whole chicken. Fresh or frozen is totally fine!
Carrot and Apple Slaw
Find the original blog post with even more recipes here!
- 1 apple
- 2 carrots
- Apple cider vinegar
- Avocado oil
- Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped.
Sweet potato rounds
- 1 to 2 sweet potatoes
The instructions for this recipe just absolutely could not be easier. You can make this easy shredded chicken in an Instant Pot pressure cooker, but it also works really well in the slow cooker. If you use a slow cooker, you can even put frozen chicken breasts directly into the cooking pot for one step cooking.
Step 1: Make the Instant Pot Shredded Chicken.
- Combine the sauce and chicken. Add the chicken and the sauce directly into the Instant Pot.
- Cook. Set the Instant Pot to "Manual" for 20 minutes. When the cook cycle ends, let the pot naturally release pressure for about 20 to 30 minutes. Any time you use high pressure cooking, carefully turn the knob to "Venting" to quickly release any remaining steam before you open the lid.
- Shred the chicken. Remove the chicken from the sauce and shred it using two forks.
- Strain the sauce. Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and strain the remaining sauce. After the chicken is shredded, add as much of the sauce back into the meat as you like. If you used chicken breasts for the recipe, you can shred the chicken right in the sauce.
Step 2: Make the Carrot and Apple Slaw.
- Shred the apple and carrots. Use a mandoline slicer fitted with the fine julienne blade to shred one apple and two carrots.
- Add the dressing to the apple slaw. Combine the apples and carrots with the oil, vinegar, and chopped parsley, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss. Toss well to combine and set aside for the flavors to meld. You can
Step 3: Make the Sweet Potato Rounds.
You can also serve this recipe with roasted sweet potatoes or baked sweet potatoes. If you are following a keto low carb diet, you can also substitute zucchini noodles.
- Microwave. Pierce the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and then microwave the sweet potatoes for 7 minutes, until just tender.
- Slice and brown. Slice the sweet potato into rounds about half an inch thick. In a sauté pan, brown the rounds on each side. Use a few teaspoons of butter or oil.
Step 4: Assemble the Shredded Chicken Stacks.
I made this recipe into cute little stacks, but all of the ingredients make up the perfect Meal Prep Bowl. You don't have to be fancy.
- Add two sweet potato rounds to a plate.
- Top with the apple slaw.
- Top with shredded chicken.
- Add extra sauce if desired.
FAQs and Expert Tips
Yes, this chicken recipe is perfect for the slow cooker. Simply add the chicken and the sauce to the slow cooker and cook on high from about 2 to 3 hours, or on low for 4 to 5 hours. Shred with two forks and serve.
Store leftover shredded chicken in and airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. This recipe also freezes well, so feel free to make a double batch.
To check out more of Kevin's Natural Foods sauces:
Other Healthy Recipes That You’ll Love
- Easy Curry Chicken Recipe - Freezer Friendly
- Chicken Picatta
- Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
- The Easiest Grilled Chicken Recipe
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going in your kitchen. Show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a 5 ★ review and a comment!
Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken - Lemongrass Basil
- 2 packages Lemongrass Basil Sauce Kevin's Natural Foods
- 1 whole chicken
Carrot and Apple Slaw
Sweet Potato Rounds
- 1 or 2 sweet potatoes
- avocado oil
How To Make Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Add the whole chicken and 2 packets of sauce to the Instant Pot.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot. Set the time to "Manual" for 20 minutes.
- When the cook cycle ends, let the pot naturally release pressure for about 20 to 30 minutes. Vent the pot to release any remaining steam before opening the lid.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool until it is cool enough to handle.
- Pull the chicken off of the bone.
- Strain the remaining sauce. Add as much sauce as you like back into the shredded chicken.
Apple and Carrot Slaw
- Using a mandoline slicer, julienne 1 apple and 2 carrots.
- Toss the apples and carrots with the apple cider vinegar, avocado oil, and parsley. Finish with salt and pepper.
Sweet Potato Rounds
- Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork and then microwave the sweet potatoes for about 7 minutes.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into rounds about a half an inch thick.
- In a sauté pan, brown the rounds on each side. Use a few teaspoons of butter or oil.