Fluffy, warm cornbread is always a treat! Especially if you have honey butter. This recipe always comes out moist, delicious. Plus it's super easy to make; no mixer needed! Plus, you can serve it with so many things!
I was raised by a bonafide Midwestern Carb addict. We had bread with EVERY meal. My mom, to this day, adamantly insists that bread is a necessary food group.
I remember my mom serving spaghetti with a big basket of bread. I would, no joke, make spaghetti tacos. I would slather that bread with a generous helping of butter and then grab a huge pile of spaghetti, twirl it up and fold it in the slice of bread taco style. #carbswithyourcarbs
My mom always made delicious bread.
Her Skillet Cornbread Recipe is just one of the recipes that I cherish now that I'm cooking for my own family.
The thing that I've always loved about this recipe is that you heat the cast iron skillet in the oven while you're mixing up the cornbread batter.
When the pan is nice and hot, you add butter or oil to the pan; then you pour the freshly mixed batter into that hot cast iron pan. The result is a crispy crust with epic texture and flavor.
As a kid, I loved watching my mom pour the batter into the hot pan with all of the melted butter when she made this cast-iron cornbread.
- Dry Ingredients: Cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. You can substitute honey for the sugar. If you do this, add the honey with the wet ingredients.
- Wet Ingredients: Buttermilk, butter, and eggs. If you don't have buttermilk, replace it with milk. (My mom typically used 2 percent milk in her cornbread recipe. This is what she usually had in the fridge.)
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 425℉, place half of the butter into your cast iron skillet. Put the skillet in the oven while it is preheating, and while you are mixing up your batter.
- Combine the Dry Ingredients: Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix with a fork.
- Add The Wet Ingredients: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix with a spoon or spatula.
- Bake: Bake the cornbread for 25 to 30 minutes. OR until a tester comes out clean from the center.
- Serve: Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. My mom always served cornbread with honey butter.
Other Delicious Variations
Cornbread can be tweaked in so many different ways. Here are two of my favorite ways to add a delicious and interesting twist to your cornbread.
Jalapeno and Cheddar Corn Bread Recipe
Add to the batter: 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, ⅓ cup of sliced green onions, 3 to 4 tablespoons of fresh jalepeño peppers, diced.
Cornbread Recipe with Corn
Add to the batter: 1 cup of whole corn.
Other Bread Recipe That You Might Like:
Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened to room temperature.
- 4 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the butter to cast iron pan and place it in the oven to preheat.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix with a fork or whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until combined.
- Once the oven is preheated, open the oven, pull the rack out, and very carefully pour the cornbread batter into the hot pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes our clean.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with honey butter.
How To Make Honey Butter
- Mix the butter and the honey together in a bowl.
- Mix with a fork or spatula until well combined.