I don't know about you, but when I think of Super Bowl snacks, Buffalo Chicken Dip is always one of the first things to come to mind. It's easy to make, it's always a hit with party guests, and it's perfect for noshing on while you're watching the game.
Plus, there are so many different ways to customize it depending on your taste preferences. Keep reading for my favorite buffalo chicken dip recipe!
Find what you're looking for
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT THIS EASY APPETIZER
- Imagine all the flavor of buffalo wings in a dip form.
- This dip is made with simple ingredients and makes the perfect party appetizer
What You'll Need
- Shredded chicken. You can use leftover roast chicken or rotisserie chicken for this recipe or you can season a few fresh chicken breasts with buffalo seasoning, for an extra spicy kick.
- Garlic. I usually use fresh garlic that is pressed for its recipe, but you can use a half teaspoon of garlic powder
- Butter. Melted butter and garlic will give the chicken an extra layer of flavor.
- Buffalo sauce. Use your favorite buffalo sauce. I love the iconic Frank's Hot Sauce in this recipe. It gives this dip a classic hot wing flavor.
- Shredded cheese. You can use shredded cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack, or even cheddar jack cheese in this recipe. For best results opt for block cheese and not the pre-shredded chees.Shredded cheese doesn't melt as smoothly as block cheese that you've shredded yourself. You'll need cheese in the dip and a little extra for the top.
- Cream cheese. Cream cheese adds extra creaminess to this cheesy dip.
- Sour cream. I always use full-fat sour cream in this recipe. Sour cream also adds creaminess to this dip.
- Blue cheese. Blue cheese crumbles give this dip a punch of blue cheese flavor that you might get with hot wings.
- Green onions. Top this finished dip off with sliced green onion.
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
I usually make this recipe in my cast iron skillet, but you can also follow the steps through melting all the ingredients together and then adding the dip to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish before adding the final sprinkling of cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ (175℃)
- Shred the chicken. If you don't have leftover chicken, you can cook a few chicken breasts with a little bit of buffalo seasoning. I have cooked chicken in my instant pot or even just boiled the chicken with a little bit of seasoning in water.
- Sauté the garlic in butter. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, like a cast-iron pan, add the butter and the garlic, sauté for a few minutes until the garlic is fragrant and very lightly browned.
- Add the shredded chicken and sauté the chicken for a few minutes so that it is flavored with garlic butter. you can add a teaspoon of buffalo season in here for some extra flavor.
- Add the buffalo hot sauce and toss the chicken to combine.
- Add the cream cheese, and the sour cream. Warm on medium heat until they both have melted into the chicken.
- Add the shredded cheese and warm it on medium heat until the cheese is completely melted.
- After the cheese and chicken mixture is warm and melted through. Add an additional half cup of shredded cheese to the top of the dip and place the pan in the oven. Bake until the cheese is melted and the dip is bubbly.
- Remove the dip from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with crumbled blue cheese and sliced green onions before serving.
How To Serve Spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip
This creamy dip recipe can be served at room temperature or you can keep it warm in your crockpot.
- Veggie sticks: celery sticks and carrot sticks
- Potato chips
- Tortilla chips
This is an easy recipe to make in the crockpot if you are serving it at your next party. The delicious dip with stay warm on low all night long.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Set the slow cooker to high heat and add the butter and the garlic. Heat until the butter is melted and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the shredded chicken and the buffalo hot sauce.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Reduce the temperature to low heat and allow the cheese to melt into the chicken mixture.
- Once everything is melted you can top the dip with the extra cheese.
- Right before serving, add the crumbled blue cheese and the diced green onions.
How To Store Leftover Dip
If you do happen to have any leftover dip (which is highly unlikely) you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. The sour cream may release water into the dip, you can just stir this liquid back into the dip when you reheat it.
When To Serve This Buffalo Dip Recipe
- Game Day
- New Years
- Family Gatherings
Hungry For More Appetizer Recipes?
When it's football season it's time to bust out your favorite appetizers.
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going on in your kitchen. Please show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 teaspoon garlic
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ½ cup Franks Red Hot You can add more if you want it spicier
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbled
- 2 cups cheddar jack cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoon green onions
- carrots Cut on the diagonal, like chips
- celery Cut into sticks
- tortilla chips
- potato chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the garlic and butter to the cast iron pan.
- Sauté the garlic in the butter until it is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, stir to coat.
- Add Frank's Red Hot Sauce, stir to combine.
- Add the cream cheese and the sour cream, mix to combine.
- Add the shredded cheese on top. Gently mix in the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven.
- Add the crumbled blue cheese and the green onions to the top.
- Serve with veggies and chips.