A wondrously decadent pot of smooth chocolate custard, topped with crème fraîche and chocolate shavings. These impressively rich and decadent pots of chocolate were one of the first recipes that I put on the blog.
There are few truths in life and in cooking.
The stuff we put in really makes the difference between something amazing and something that just forgettable.
The important thing in this recipe is using the best chocolate that you can find. I am a huge fan of Guittard chocolate for all my baking. I have tried others that I really like but Guittard always seems to be amazing in whatever I put it in. It is my go to chocolate for cooking. And I like really dark chocolate so I usually use the bittersweet.
The bittersweet chocolate custard is really thick and not too sweet. The dollop of crème fraîche adds a touch of creaminess that way more interesting that plain whipped cream. Crème fraîche is like a really mild flavored sour cream. It has a very delicate flavor and is amazing with fresh fruit and with these rich dark chocolate pots de cremes.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for pots de creme day. Here is also a glimpse and some of my first food photos as well. It's a reminder that while I still have a long way to go, I have also come pretty far.
Check out these chia pudding recipes for delicious vegan alternatives. Both are fresh and creamy and super easy.
Chocolate Pots de Crème
- 13 oz chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- crème fraîche and chocolate shavings for garnish
- Weigh out chocolate and add to a large heat-safe bowl.
- Place egg yolks in a medium heat-safe bowl. Whisk.
- Place milk, cream, and sugar in a sauce pan. Heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add hot milk mixture to the eggs, slowly and gradually while whisking constantly.
- Return custard mixture to the saucepan and cook gently, until thick.
- Pour hot custard over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Portion out into small dessert ramekins.
- Refrigerate until set, about 2-3 hours.
- Top with a dollop of crème fraîche and chocolate shavings.