This ultra-easy cake recipe is a super dark chocolate cake with a hint of coffee flavor. It's wonderfully delicious! Mocha cake is one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes because it's always perfectly moist and never too sweet.
This mocha cake recipe is a cake recipe that was given to me by my good friend Kit.
Her Aunt Cherie used to make this cake for her when she was growing up! It used to be her go-to birthday cake recipe!
We made this cake one afternoon and I fell in love with so many things about this rich but fluffy and moist cake.
What you are going to love about this recipe
- Minimal Ingredients: It only requires a few easy-to-find ingredients and has minimal instructions.
- Fool-proof: It's impossible to mess up this chocolate cake.
- Always Delicious: I can't think of a time that it hasn't come out moist and delicious.
- Fluffy Mocha Frosting: The mocha cake frosting is so ridiculously fluffy. I love that it's not too sweet! It complements the rich dark chocolate cake perfectly.
PRO-TIP: You can also make this recipe as a sheet cake instead. It is YOUR cake!
Foodology Geek Recipe Tips
Ingredients Needed For Mocha Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- Dry Ingredients: Sugar, all-purpose flour, and cocoa powder.
- Leavening: Baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Wet Ingredients: Eggs, milk, oil, strong brewed coffee, and vanilla extract.
- Frosting: Heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cocoa powder.
How To Make a Mocha Cake
- Get Ready to Bake: Preheat the oven to 350℉. Grease and flour 2 round cake tins.
- Mix: Add ALL of the cake ingredients (except the coffee) to a large mixing bowl. Mix until everything is combined.
- Add strong hot coffee: Then mix everything one more Time.
- Bake: Bake the cake for about 30 minutes. If you have a probe thermometer the internal temperature of the cake should be about 205℉.
- Cooling: Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool completely before frosting, at least 2 hours.
How to make Mocha Cake Frosting
- Make sure the heavy whipping cream is extra cold.
- Add the ingredients to your mixing bowl. Besat until the frosting is fluffy and has stiff peaks.
FAQs and Variations
- 9 x 13 - inch cake pan: The baking Time may increase slightly for a 9 x 13-inch pan. I find it most accurate to use a probe thermometer to make sure the case is done without a doubt.
If you like this cake, I have a few more dessert recipes that you definitely should try:
Dark Chocolate Mocha Cake
Chocolate Mocha Cake
Chocolate Mocha Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- Grease and flour 2 - 9" round pans (or one 13" x 9" pan).
- Combine all of the ingredients - EXCEPT the coffee. Mix until blended.
- Add the hot coffee. Mix again.
- Bake the cakes for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Approx. 45 mins for 13" x 9" pan)
Whipped Chocolate Icing
- Put all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl with beaters. REFRIGERATE AT LEAST 2 HOURS.
- Beat until there are stiff peaks and the icing is a spreadable consistency.