This fresh and crisp cucumber salad recipe is marinated in a spicy-sweet sesame ginger dressing. The result is a refreshing umami-packed marinated salad that is delicious with grilled meat or all on its own.
When I was in high school, one of my all-time favorite after school snacks was a cucumber salad that I made by slicing up a bunch of cucumbers and then drowning them in a salty concoction of soy sauce and Kraft Italian dressing.
Needless to say, my palate is a tad bit more refined these days. Not to mention my desire to eat clean.
I still love a good cucumber salad. This crunchy cucumber salad is inspired by Asian flavors with ginger, garlic, sesame and soy. I like to add a spicy kick with a pinch of red chile.
What you're going to love about this recipe
- No stove needed: This easy salad recipe means no cooking is needed for this recipe. Just a sharp knife or a mandoline.
- Super easy: This recipe is so easy to make. Just two ingredients and a super simple simple salad dressing.
- Fresh and crispy: Cucumber salad is crunchy and packed with umami.
- Perfect for meal prep: Marinated cucumbers just get better as they sit in the fridge. This recipe is one of my go-to meal prep recipes.
This recipe is super simple. There are just two veggies and an easy salad dressing. The dressing is super
- Cucumbers: I like to use Persian or English cucumbers for this recipe. Both of these have tender skin. If you are going to use the more common cucumbers, peel them and remove the seeds.
- Aromatics: Red onions, ginger, garlic, and cilantro.
- Dressing: Soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and mirin.
- Extras: Chili flakes and sesame seeds. These are both optional but highly recommended.
Step 1: Slice the veggies.
Use a mandoline or sharp knife to slice the cucumbers and the onions. I like my cucumbers on the paper-thin side.
Step 2: Make the dressing.
Mix together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over the cucumbers and toss gently.
FAQs and Expert Tips
What to serve with Cucumber Salad
Asian Cucumber Salad
- 3 english cucumbers thinly sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- Slice cucumbers into thin slices. *Using a food processor for this makes it really easy.
- You'll want about 4-5 cups of cucumbers. Usually 3 large cucumbers is good.
- You can peel them or leave the peel on.
- Slice red onions really thin.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix and pour over cucumbers.
- Chill for a few hours before serving.
- Store in an air-tight container.