My love affair with blue cheese dressing started with wings, but it didn't end there.
In an effort to find a healthy version of buffalo wings I created the Healthy Buffalo Chicken Salad Bowl. This easy meal prep bowl is the perfect way to get all of your favorite flavors in a one keto meal prep bowl.
You'll definitely want to top it off with this Easy Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing.
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
- Easy. Classic blue cheese salad dressing is easy to make. You only need a few ingredients and a bowl.
- Healthy. Because it's made from scratch you know it's made with the best ingredients and no preservatives.
- Versatile. The dressing can be used as a dip or a dressing. It tasted amazing on a multitude of things. From veggies to buffalo wings this is going to be your new favorite go-to blue cheese recipe.
The hardest thing in how to make blue cheese dressing is figuring out what blue cheese to buy. There are so many varieties out there. Should you buy a wedge of blue cheese or do you buy it already crumbled?
Blue Cheese Dressing Main Ingredients
- Sour Cream + Mayo. This recipe calls for sour cream and mayonnaise. Youn can use store-bought mayo or make your own.
- Buttermilk. Buttermilk is used at the end to thin the blue cheese dressing to your desired consistency. You can also use regular milk in this recipe.
- Blue Cheese. 4 ounces of blue cheese is called for. I like to use triple cream blue cheese and I always buy it in wedge form. Fee free to use the pre-crumbled variety if you're short on time.
- Lemon Juice. Lemon juice adds a zesty fresh note to this salad dressing.
- Parsley. I like adding fresh parsley for the color and a little herbaceousness.
How to pick a good blue cheese
- The best blue cheese can be found at the cheese counter. Even better if you have a cheesemonger on-site to help you pick one out.
- Look for a wedge of blue cheese with a nice even marbling and a white color. The cheese might not be a bright white, but you don't want any yellow or pink tint to your blue cheese.
- Make sure there is no moisture sitting under the plastic wrap.
- I used Castello Danish Blue for this recipe. It's easy to find at Whole Foods.
- I usually steer clear of the pre-crumbled variety of blue cheese. It's usually not as flavorful and because it's the star of the show in this recipe, I usually splurge on cheese that I know will give my homemade dressing the best flavor.
How to crumble blue cheese
- It's easiest to crumble blue cheese when the cheese is really cold.
- I use my fingers to break about the blue cheese into smaller crumbles.
- You can also use the tines of a fork. Stab the fork into the cheese about a half of an inch and then turn it to break off crumbles.
How To Store Leftover Blue Cheese
Storing cheese in plastic wrap isn't the best because cheese needs to breath.
Wrap leftover cheese in parchment paper and then slide it into a plastic bag, but leave it unsealed so air can circulate around the cheese.
Store blue cheese dressing in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Blue cheese dressing will keep a week of longer in the fridge. You may see some separation. If you do, simply give it a quick stir and enjoy.
Homemade blue cheese dressing has less than one gram of carbs per serving which makes it a perfect keto salad dressing recipe.
There are many types of blue mold cheeses and they all have very different flavors.
Gorgonzola tends to be less sharp than blue cheese, depending on its age. In my opinion, gorgonzola has a milder, creamier flavor.
Blue cheese has an unctuous earthy, creamy, salty flavor. It's flavor is considered sharp and salty.
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dip - If you're wanting more of a blue cheese dip you can adjust the thickness of this recipe by adjusting the amount of milk that you add in at the end.
- Worchestershire sauce - Adding in 1 tsp of Worchestershire sauce adds a little extra umami to this dressing recipe.
- Add different herbs - Many blue cheese salad dressing recipes call for chives. Feel free to swap the parsley for chives or add them both.
What to serve with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Of course, the classic Wedge Salad is always a sure-fire hit with Blue Cheese Dressing.
- Buffalo Wings are a natural pair for blue cheese.
- A grilled or pan-seared filet mignon topped with extra crumbles of blue cheese is the perfect pairing for a nice salad and blue cheese dressing.
- Grilled asparagus topped with a squeeze of lemon, crumbled blue cheese, and a generous finish of fresh cracked black pepper.
- A nice glass of red wine is the best with blue cheese.
Other Dressing Recipes to Try
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup buttermilk or heavy cream or whole milk
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix together.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.