I have a small garden in my backyard. Having fresh greens and herbs available right outside my back door is so awesome – if you have the room and the sun for even a few containers, you should totally plant a few herbs this spring! Having fresh herbs at your fingertips not only allows you to add mega-flavor to your food, it also saves you a ton of cash which is cool, right? 🤑
- 2 acorn squash or other fall squash of your choice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450℉.
- Cut each squash in half and remove seeds.
- Slice each half into equally sized wedges.
- Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, add oil and salt and pepper, roast for 15-20 min. or until lightly browned and tender.
- Set aside to eat with your delicious Kale Pesto!
- Place kale and garlic in a small food processor and chop until kale and garlic are finely minced.
- Add champagne vinegar and pine nuts. Process until pine nuts are finely chopped.
- While running food processor add oil slowly until mixture is smooth.
- Add salt to taste and a tbsp or two of water to thin to desired consistency.
You know it's good for you, you want to love it, but usually, it just sucks. I am sure you have choked it down in a salad or two, maybe it was even massaged, or maybe a smoothie... yes, you probably put it in a smoothie. This kale pesto will change your relationship with kale forever. You can eat this rich, garlicky, deep green magic sauce on everything from roasted fall squash and beets to burrata with crostini. It is that good, and it still counts as kale. Slather it on and get your phytonutrients – it doesn't have to be painful.