It’s Pecan Day and the perfect time to share one of my Grammy’s favorite cookies.
These Pecan Finger Cookies are one of my go-to Christmas cookie recipes.
I know it’s a little early to start thinking about Christmas cookies. But then again, is it? Maybe it’s the relentless heat that we have been having, but I’m so ready for Fall’s crisper air and all the comforting smells of holiday cooking.
I ‘m not sure what happened in my family.
Why or how these cookies became finger shaped is a mystery; but, that is how I’ve always known them. These pecan finger cookies are really just a basic Mexican wedding cookie. Mexican wedding cookies are usually shaped into balls. After they bake they end up being a bite sized little dome of nutty deliciousness. You can also find this cookie recipe called Russian tea cakes. I know there are several other versions out there. They must be good to have spread all over the world.
I’ve held on to the tradition of making these into fingers. Sometimes my mom shapes them into crescent shapes. Whatever shape you end up deciding to make, you will not be disappointed. They are fantastic!
These cookies totally fit the bill.
They are similar to a shortbread cookie but chock full of nuts. Once out of the oven, they’re tossed in powdered sugar. The cookies themselves are more nutty than sweet. Covering them with powdered sugar complements the nutty flavor of the cookie, taking them to the next level of delicious.
These cookies are addictive!
They are the perfect two-bite size. They’re nutty, sweet, and just a tiny bit salty. They are messy, sugary, magic!
Pecan Finger Cookies – Be careful, you seriously cannot eat just one!
Make sure to also check out the vegan and gluten free versions of this recipe. [The details are in the recipe card.] My daughter is vegan and these are one of her favorite cookies as well! I always make a batch of the vegan version for her. They are just as good! These cookies also hold up well using a gluten free flour blend.
So go ahead and whip up a batch of these pecan finger cookies. Get yourself in the mood for Fall.
Don’t forget to follow Foodology Geek on your favorite social media channel. Make sure to subscribe to get all of our fabulous free downloads. Our Beast Bowl Build Guide is coming out next week. Make sure to sign up so that you don’t miss your free copy.
Grammy's Pecan Finger Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup powdered sugar plus extra for covering cookies
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups pecans coarsely ground
- Cream together sugars and butter.
- Add vanilla and water. Mix.
- Add flour, nuts and salt. Mix until combined.
- Cover and set in the fridge for a few hours.
- Preheat oven to 250℉. Shape the dough into the desired shape - fingers, crescents or balls. Place on a parchment lined or (ungreased) cookie sheet.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Roll warm cookies in extra powdered sugar. For best results, do this while they are still warm.