Give me tacos or give me death!
Or at least give me some tasty beef that I can use in a lot of different ways, so I don't feel like I'm eating the same thing all week. Am I right?
I have several versions of shredded beef that I make, depending on what I am craving in a particular week. Here are the two recipes that I make most often, both are super yummy and perfect for cooking ahead so ;you can have protein ready and waiting all week!
shredded beef is ultra easy!
It can be made in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot. Just keep in mind that with a slow cooker you can let it cook all day while you're at work. The Instant Pot Version is done in under an hour, but you'll need to be ready to babysit your Instant Pot.
It's really easy to tweak the flavors of this recipe! My favorite way of preparing this beef is with a simple taco seasoning rub, then just add a can of chilis and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. If you've been hanging out here for any time at all, you probably know that tacos are my jam. I can probably put anything on a corn tortilla with some spicy sauce and be happy as a clam.
For the second version, I use a mocha rub that I found in Steph Gaudreau's Performance Paleo Cookbook. I simply add beef broth and then let this roast cook. The recipe here is adapted from her original recipe.
Do you have a minute to answer a question?
I'm really curious to know how you guys are weighing in on the slow cooker vs. Instant pot. I know it isn't a new thing, but I have to admit that I've only borrowed a friends instant pot. I've used it for testing but I'm not sure if I am ready to pot commit .
Leave us a comment and let us know if you have an instant pot and if you love it. Would you like to see more recipes using the instant pot?
The beauty of cooking with core proteins in mind is that you can cook up a batch and then serve it several different ways. My top 5 ways to eat shredded beef:
Shredded Beef with Green Chilis
- 4 lbs Chuck Roast
- 1 can Diced Green Chilis
- 1 can Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Taco Seasoning (Makes about 1 cup)
- 5 tbsp Chili Powder
- 3 tsp Kosher Salt
- 3 tsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 4 tsp Onion Powder
- 4 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 tsp Paprika
- 2-4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Make a batch of taco seasoning.
- Add meat to your slow cooker
- Sprinkle a few tbsps of spice mix onto the chuck roast and rub to coat.
- Add can of chilis and tomatoes. (Including all liquid)
- Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Meat should be fork tender.
- Remove and let cook on a cutting board for a few minutes.
- Using 2 forks shred the beef and serve with taco fixings or your favorite veggie sides.
Shredded Beef with Mocha Rub
- 4 lbs Chuck Roast
- 1 cup Beef Broth or Filtered Water
- 4 tbsp Coffee finely ground
- 4 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Crushed Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Aleppo Pepper or Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- Mix up a batch of Mocha Rub
- Use a few tablespoons to seasoning your roast.
- Add seasoned roast and beef broth to a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for at least 4 hours. Meat should be fork tender.
- Remove meat and shred with two forks.
- Serve with taco fixins or your favorite veggies.