Potato salad is one of those summer recipes that shows up at every cookout and anytime the meal calls for bbq side. This is the BEST potato salad recipe. It's creamy and has that traditional potato salad flavor.
You're sure to make this homemade potato salad one of your new go to bbq side dishes.
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
Traditional potato salad is usually made with russet potatoes. However, I really like Yukon gold or red potatoes in this potato salad. Both of these potatoes are a little starchier and have a creamy texture.
What you'll need
- Potatoes. You'll need about 3 ½ pounds of potatoes. Approximate 4 to 5 large potatoes.
- Vinegar. I usually use apple cider vinegar but you can also use red wine or white vinegar.
- Mayo + mustard. This recipe calls for mayo and mustard. You can leave the mustard out or even use dijon mustard.
- Herbs. Green onions, parsley, and onion. You can use any kind of onion you like.
- Spices. Celery seed, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Potato Salad
- Boil the potatoes. Peel and dice the potatoes into half-inch chunks. Place the potatoes into a large pot with cold salted water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender, but not mushy. Drain and return to the pot.
- Add the vinegar. Add the vinegar to the potatoes while they are still warm. This allows them to absorb more flavor. Set aside and allow them to cool while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Toss. Add the cooled potatoes to a large bowl. Add the mayo, mustard, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Add the minced onion and the herbs. Toss to combine.
- Chill. For the best flavor chill for several hours before serving.
There a lot of different ways to make potato salad. Here are a few of my favorite varations.
Red Potato Salad
Red potato salad is made with a sour cream and dill based dressing. To adjust this recipe just use ½ cup of mayo + ½ sour cream. And substitute the celery seed for dried dill.
Loaded Potato Salad
This recipe also calls for sour cream, use ½ cup of mayo + ½ sour cream. Take out the celery seed and add in 6 sliced of crumbled bacon and 3 hard-boiled eggs (optional)
Potato Salad With No Mustard
You can definitely leave out the mustard if you want to make a potato salad with not mustard.
German Potato Salad (No Mayo)
German potato salad is made with no mayo. For this recipe leave out the celery seed.
The vinegar-based dressing made with bacon and a little bit of sugar. Brown the bacon and remove it from the pan. Add the onions to the bacon grease, sauté until clear. Add the vinegar, a few teaspoons of sugar, parsley, and green onions.
Add the dressing to the potatoes and toss.
How to store
What To Serve With
More Summer Side Dishes
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going on in your kitchen. Please show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Traditional Potato Salad
- 3 ½ lbs potatoes about 4 large potatoes, russet, yukon gol or red potatoes
- 3 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 to 3 stalks celery finely diced
- ⅓ cup onion finely diced
- 1 bunch green Onions finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely minced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 hard boiled eggs chopped
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of water add a few teaspoons of vinegar.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil. Add the eggs.
- Reduce the temperature to a slow boil.
- Continue to boil the potatoes until a toothpick can be inserted relatively easily. You want them tender but not falling apart.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool until you can handle them.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into a medium to large dice.
- Place the diced potatoes into a large bowl and add two to three tablespoons of white vinegar to them, toss gently. It is best to do this when they are still warm.
- Add the salt, pepper, and celery seed to the potatoes. Toss gently.
- Add the onions, celery, mayonnaise, mustard, and diced eggs. Toss gently.