Deviled Eggs with Smoked Salmon and Capers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Resting Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12 Deviled Eggs
These deviled eggs are everything that I love about a New York style gravlax and bagel schmear.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 12 Hard-boiled eggs
- Reserved egg yolks
- 4 ounces Cream cheese softened
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Caper liquid
- 2 tbsp Capers
- ¼ cup Smoked Salmon or Gravlax
QUICK PICKLED ONIONS
- `1 medium Red onion peeled, halved, and sliced very thin
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup White vinegar
PERFECT HARD-BOILED EGGS
- Start with room temperature eggs.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a slow boil.
- Add the eggs using a slotted spoon.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Prepare an ice bath and transfer the eggs to an ice bath for 5 minutes before peeling.
- Slice the hard-boiled eggs in half. Remove the yolks and place them in a separate bowl to make the filling.
QUICK PICKLED ONIONS
- Add all of the ingredients to a non-reactive bowl (glass or plastic). Toss and let sit for about 20 minutes.
MAKE THE FILLING
- Add the cream cheese and the caper liquid to the reserved egg yolks.
- Using a hand mixer, mix on medium-high until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add a little more caper juice if the mixture seems too thick.
- If you are using the piping bag and the number 21 star tip, assemble and fill the piping bag with the filling mixture.
- Alternatively, use a freezer or sandwich bag. Fill the plastic bag with the egg mixture filling. Cut off one corner, making sure the opening is about the width of a pencil.
- Pipe the filling into each egg white half.
- Slice the salmon into small pieces that can fit on top of the eggs. I make mine about the size of the first knuckle of my index finger.
- Place a small slice of salmon, 2 to 3 capers, and a few pickled red onions on top of each egg.
- Chill until you are ready to serve them.
You can make the filling the day before and store in an airtight container in the fridge. For the best results assemble the eggs right before you serve them.
Serving: 1deviled egg | Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 197mg | Sodium: 154mg | Potassium: 80mg | Vitamin A: 7.7% | Calcium: 3.4% | Iron: 3.8%
(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)