Is there anything more American than apple pie? This classic dessert is a favorite for a reason – it's delicious! In this recipe, we'll show you how to make your own apple pie from scratch.
It's easy and the results are heavenly. So get ready to celebrate America's favorite dish with this mouth-watering apple pie recipe. Trust us, you won't be disappointed!
When I was a kid I was definitely more of a cake person. I would rather have a rich slice of decadent chocolate cake over a slice of pie, any day.
However, as I've gotten older I have developed more of an appreciation for pie.
I've also learned that there was a reason that as a kid that I didn't like pie. Most of the pie that I happened to taste when I was a kid was store-bought pie. Comparing a store-bought pie to a homemade pie just isn't fair.
After many years of figuring out how to make pies in my own kitchen, I am now a pie lover. This doesn't mean that I no longer appreciate a really good cake.
I've come to the realization that when it comes to anything baked if it's not from scratch, it's just not worth eating.
What You'll Love About this Caramel Apple Pie Recipe
This is an easy apple pie recipe that I've been making for years. I bake this pie in my cast iron skillet and it comes out perfect every single time.
- This is a homemade apple pie recipe that is made from scratch — is there anything better than that?
- This apple pie filling is hands down the BEST apple pie filling that I have ever tasted.
- This apple pie is made with fresh apples.
- The buttermilk pie dough that I use to bake this apple pie makes the most amazing apple pie crust.
- Pie Dough: I have two recipes that are my go-to pie crust recipes; Buttermilk Pie Crust and All-Butter Pie Crust. Either of these work! Or feel free to use your own favorite pie dough.
- Fresh Apples: The best apples to use for apple pie are Granny Smith (tart), Fuji (sweet), and Pippin Apples (tart and sweet.) I like to use a variety of apples in the filling. You'll need about 8 to 10 apples.
- Apple Pie Spice: Cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and all-spice.
- Thickeners: Flour and cornstarch.
- Caramel Sauce: I use my Homemade Bourbon Caramel in this recipe. If you don't want to make homemade caramel sauce you can use a store-bought variety.
- Cast Iron Skillet. You can bake this pie in a cast-iron skillet. I usually use my Lodge or my Staub.
- Pie Dish. If you don't have a cast-iron skillet a regular pie dish will do.
- Baking Sheet
- Food Processor
You'll want to plan ahead for this recipe because you'll want to make an apple pie crust recipe a few hours before you bake the pie. I usually make my pie dough the night before and let it chill in the fridge overnight.
- Make The Pie Dough: After you make your pie dough, set it in the fridge to rest. I usually recommend at least 4 hours. Pie dough can be in the fridge for a few weeks and in the freezer for months. If you are short on time, freeze your dough for 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- Caramel Sauce: Either make a caramel sauce or have one ready to go.
- Peel the Apples: Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a bowl. Peel and slice the apples. Add the spices and the sugar to the apples. Toss.
- Assemble the Apple Pie: Roll out half of the pie dough and place it in the pie pan or cast-iron skillet. Add the cornstarch and the flour to the apples and toss. Place the apples into the pie dough. Cover with one-third cup of caramel sauce. Roll out the second half of the pie dough and place it on top.
- Baking The Pie: Preheat the oven to 450℉. I start all of my pies on a higher temperature because the extra heat helps the butter and water in the pie crust expand. this step gives you an extra flaky pie crust. After 10 minutes, turn the temperature of the oven down to 350℉ and bake for another hour. Make sure to check the pie occasionally. If the top starts to get too brown you can cover it loosely with foil.
PRO-TIP: Use a woven top for the crust OR vent the top crust with a sharp knive. There are a million creative ways to do pie crust design so if that is in your wheel house, knock yourself out!
- Peel and slice the apples. Then add the sugar, spices, and lemon juice.
- Roll out the pie dough.
- Put the pie dough in the cast iron pan.
- Add the apples and the caramel to the pie dough.
- Add the top layer of pie dough. Crimp the edges and vent the top with a sharp knife. Wash with an egg wash.
- Bake the pie. Preheat the oven to 450℉. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350℉.
Variations and FAQS
This recipe is just like my easy double crust apple pie recipe, except there is salted caramel inside the pie. You can also serve extra caramel sauce on the side.
Check out the detailed instructions in my All-Butter Pie Crust OR my Buttermilk Pie Crust.
Keep Everything COLD 🥶 your butter should be super cold.
Chill before baking. The pie crust should be chilled before it's baked.
Bake time may vary depending on your oven. Plan on about an hour.
I usually used 8 to 10 apples for an apple pie.
Other Pie Recipes To Try
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going on in your kitchen. Please show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Caramel Apple Pie
Buttermilk Pie Crust
Apple Pie Filling
Make the Pie Dough
- Add the flour, the salt, and the sugar to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade. Pulse a few times to mix.
- Dice the butter and add it to the work bowl. Pulse 10 to 15 times until the flour resembles a coarse sand.
- Turn the food processor on and add the buttermilk. Keep the food processor on until the dough mostly comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter and press it together. Wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge while you assemble the rest of the ingredients for the pie.
Make The Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- PRO TIP: If crystals form around the edges, use water and a pastry brush to re-dissolve the sugar.
- When the sugar is a golden honey color turn the heat off and immediately add the heavy cream. The mixture will bubble violently. Whisk gently until the caramel sauce is fluid and the bubbling has stopped.
- Add one shot of bourbon (or one tablespoon of vanilla) and a pinch of salt. Stir to incorporate.
- PRO TIP: You can kick the heat on for a 10-20 second to mellow the alcohol in the bourbon if desired.
Make the Apple Pie Filling
- Peel and core apples. Slice and add to bowl.
- PRO TIP: Squeeze the lemon juice into the bowl that you will be adding the apples too. That way you can toss them with the juice as I go.
- Add the sugar, the spices, the flour, and the cornstartch. Toss until apples are evenly coated.
Baking the Perfect Apple Pie
- Roll out the pie dough into the bottom and top pie crusts. Put the bottom layer of the pie dough into the pie dish.
- Add in the apple pie filling mixture.
- Add the top pie dough. Finish the edges and then add several vents to the top of the pie dough.
- Put the entire pie in the fridge and let it chill while you preheat the oven.
- Preheat oven to 450℉
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet and place it into the oven. Bake the pie for 10 minutes @ 450℉
- Reduce oven temperature to 350℉. Bake the pie for another hour.
- Let the pie rest for at least an hour before serving.