This post may contain affiliate links. Please read mydisclosure policy.
Butcher salt is an easy way to add flavor to your cooking. This classic butcher salt recipe is made with salt, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and sage.
I have a batch of butcher salt on hand at all times. It is super handy for seasoning everything. This flavor blend will add more flavor than plain old salt and pepper.
Use it for seasoning any cut of meat, and add it to soups or casseroles. You can use this salt blend in place of salt in almost any recipe.
How To Make Butcher Salt
There isn’t any real science to making a salt blend. Simply measure the ingredients into a bowl and mix them.
Store butcher salt in a salt dish or a salt grinder.
How To Store Homemade Butcher Salt
A gorgeous salt box looks great on your counter. Use this marble dish for storing your favorite salt blends. I recommend using Kosher salt if you don’t use a grinder.
What Kind Of Salt Is Best
The most crucial ingredient in this recipe is salt. And all salt is not created equal.
I recommend never using iodized for anything. When cooking, it is best to use an all-natural salt such as sea salt or Kosher salt.
Best Salt To Use For Cooking
When making a salt blend for a salt grinder, use coarse salt. Kosher salt is coarser than fine sea salt, but it works well in a salt blend recipe, especially if you don’t want to use a spice grinder.
- Himalayan Pink Salt (affiliate link)
- Coarse Sea Salt (affiliate link)
- Kosher Salt – Diamond Crystal (affiliate link), Morton (affiliate link), or Jacobson (affiliate link) brands.
- Redmond’s Real Salt (affiliate link) – Coarse ground
Reliable Places to Buy Salt
- Amazon has many salt varieties to choose from.
- Jacobson Salt – Oregon
Recipes To Use Butcher Salt
More Seasoning Blend Recipes
I’m slightly obsessed with seasoning blend recipes. Check out more of my homemade blends. They save so much time in the kitchen.
You can also download my printable version of my top Savory Spice Blends.
How To Use Butcher Salt
- salt dish
- salt grinder
- 1 ½ teaspoons pink peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl and mix together.1 cup kosher salt, 1 ½ teaspoons rosemary, 1 ½ teaspoons thyme, 1 ½ teaspoons marjarom, 1 ½ teaspoons sage, 1 ½ teaspoons pink peppercorns, 1 bay leaf
- Store butcher salt in a salt grinder or an airtight spice jar.
Laura’s Tips + Notes
YOUR OWN NOTES
Sign In to add your own private notes