How to Make Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend from Scratch
If you’re in love with Everything Bagel Seasoning here is the recipe! Now you can whip up a batch at home anytime. Making your own everything bagel seasoning is not only cheaper, but I think this recipe is even better than Trader Joe’s brand.
Like many others, I fell in love with this seasoning blend after I stumbled upon it at Trader Joe’s.
Everything bagel seasoning is a super tasty mix of savory sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onions, and garlic. It’s all of the spices used to top and everything bagel — in a jar without the bread.
After you learn how easy it is to make this seasoning blend at home, you can literally add it to everything. I use it almost daily on hard-boiled eggs or avocado toast.
The flavor combo is so delicious you can use it on almost anything you want to add a little extra flavor to.
What you’re going to love about this Recipe
- Easy: This recipe is so easy, you can assemble it in 5 minutes.
- Toasty: Because this recipe is toasted, it has a little extra flavor that makes it even better than the original.
- Tasty on Everything: It is fitting that Everything but the bagel seasoning is blend is tasty on everything! Including bagels.
Foodology Geek Recipe Notes
The only recipe note is that you should find the highest quality spice that you can when you are making seasoning blends.
What is in Everything Bagel Seasoning?
- Sesame Seeds: I use a mixture of black and white seeds. You can experiment with your favorite combination.
- Poppy Seeds:
- Garlic Granules: Garlic granules are extra-coarse chopped, dried garlic.
- Onion Granules: Onion granules are extra-coarse chopped, dried garlic.
- Coarse Salt: I have used Kosher salt or Maldon sea salt.
- Crushed Red Pepper: (optional) If you like a spicy kick, add the crushed red pepper.
This is hardly even a recipe. The only thing that you have to do to make this seasoning blend at home is to mix everything together.
The only extra step is adding the spices to a pan and gently toasting them.
- Heat a medium-sized sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add the spices to the pan and gently toast them until they are fragrant. Watch them closely so that they don’t burn.
What can you use everything bagel seasoning for?
- Avocado Toast
- Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Everything Bagel Cheese Ball – Inspired by Charm
- Everything Bagel Cheese Crackers – Jo Cooks
- Everything Bagel Dip –
- Everything Bagel Dinner Rolls
- 2 Ingredient Bagels – Recipe Girl
- New York Style Bagels
- Soft Pretzels
Homemade Seasoning Blends Rule!
Do you want more ideas on adding flavor to your meals but want it to be super easy? If you want this seasoning blend recipe and a few more of my seasoning blends, check my post on Seasoning Blend Recipes.
Other Seasoning Blends
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what’s going on in your kitchen. Show me what you’re cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a five ★ review and a comment!
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Add all the spices to a medium-sized sauté pan.
- Heat on medium heat. Watch closely and stir gently. Once the spices are fragrant remove them from the pan.
- Store the spices in an airtight container.