Protein-packed steak chimichurri bowl
Here’s our latest obsession…
This grilled steak chimichurri Beast Bowl is satisfying in so many ways. First, grilled marinated flat iron steak. This lean cut of meat is an easy and affordable way to get in your daily protein.
Second, the spicy chimichurri sauce is a win-win that can be eaten on steak, chicken, fish or veggies.
Third, tostones! Tostones are fried green plantains. If you are up for it, these are worth making from scratch. The process is easy if you aren’t afraid of heating up some coconut oil in a skillet. (Substitution: You can buy plantain chips but I promise they won’t be as amazing 😉)
Let’s Get Cooking
Start by marinating the steak. You can use flank steak or hanger steak. Heck, actually any cut of steak would be delicious. It’s a good idea to plan enough time for your meat to chill in the marinade for at least a few hours. To save time, make the marinade the night before and let your meat swim in flavor all night long.
Cooking Tip: Let your steak set out for at least an hour before you grill it. Meat should be room temperature in order to cook properly.
On Cook Day
- Make chimichurri.
- Make guacamole.
- Make tostones.
- Grill meat then let rest.
- Get your bowl fixin’s ready to go.
- Slice meat, assemble your bowl and eat.
Do the Tostones!
Seriously, just do the tostones. You can make them from scratch in under 15 minutes.
To make tostones – all you need is about a half a cup of coconut oil (heated on medium-high) and a few green plantains.
- Peel them and cut them in 2-inch pieces. Fry for a few minutes on each side,
- Next, remove and smash the plantain slices between two plates.
- Then, return smashed plantains back into the hot oil. After a few additional minutes on each side, they will be nice and crispy.
- Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
How to Grill Flank Steak:
Flank steak is a lean cut of meat. It’s really tasty if it’s cooked correctly; which is hot and fast.
Your fire should be hot. Grill the flank steak for about 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
The key to getting steak done to the right temperature is to grill it – then cover it and let it rest.
Resting allows the juices to settle back into the meat. The meat actually continues to cook just a bit after you take it off the heat.
As the meat rests it will reach the correct doneness and perfect juiciness.
How to Rest Steak:
- Pull your meat off of the grill and place it on a clean plate or platter.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil (I usually use 2 layers.)
- Set a timer for 10 minutes.
- Walk away.
- After 10 minutes, remove foil, serve meat or slice and serve larger cuts.
Grilled Steak Chimichurri Beast Bowls with Fried Tostones
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 12 ounce dark beer
- 4 jalapeño peppers seeded and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup green onions
- ⅓ cup shallot
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- ¾ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green plantains
- ½ cup coconut oil
- small bowl of water
- coarse salt
- Columbian guacamole
- fresh cilantro
- fresh limes
Bonus: Columbian Guacamole
- 4 avocados
- ½ Vidalia onion finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 lime juiced (more if desired)
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 2 serrano peppers finely diced
- Make marinade and add flank steak.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Grill on a very hot grill, 2 minutes each side.
- Remove steak to a platter. Cover and seal with foil. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Add all ingredients to a the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until ingredients are finely minced.
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and mix with a fork until still chunky, but blended together.
- Peel green plantains, cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Heat about ½ cup of coconut oil in a cast iron or other heavy bottomed skillet.
- Set pieces of plantain in skillet flat side down.
- Fry on each side until golden brown. (I use chopsticks to turn mine)
- Remove from oil and place on a plate.
- Use a second plate to press the fried pieces flat.
- Quickly dip the smashed tostones in water and the return to oil.
- Fry on each side for a few minutes.
- Remove and place on a paper towel. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
Build Your Beast Bowl
- Add all of your favorite fixin's to a large bowl.
- Top with steak, Columbian guacamole, chimichurri and tostones.