It’s the season for warm comforting bowls of slurpy, spicy yellow curry noodles. I’m a super busy working mom and always love a recipe that I can make a few meals out of or pack up for lunch, especially when you can make a big batch of these and have leftovers for days. Just be sure to add the fresh toppings after you reheat.
These Yellow Curry Noodle Bowls are incredible with chicken. The yummy spicy curry sauce clings to the rice noodles. The chicken is tender and flavorful. I love the freshness the cilantro and fresh lime juice adds, paired with the crunch of chopped peanuts and fresh bean sprouts. This bowl is a flavor and texture explosion.
You can usually find rice noodles in the asian section at the grocery store. Brown rice noodles can be a little harder to find depending on where you live, but you can order them here. For this dish I like the thick flat ones, sometimes there can be so many different kinds, it can be confusing if you aren’t quite sure what you are looking for. A few other things that you might want to order online is the aleppo pepper and the Red Boat Fish Sauce. One thing here… do not be afraid of the fish sauce! On it’s own it can be really intimidating. I am not going to lie, it’s stinky but it really does add an umami favor that is worth it. In case you are wondering what that means: Umami = pleasant savory taste. Of course you want that. Just do it. Just use the stinky fish sauce.
Yellow Curry Noodle Bowl
- 1 ½ lb boneless chicken (breast or thighs) (6 oz tofu if vegan)
- 1 can thai coconut milk
- 2 tbsp thai red curry paste
- 2 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth if vegan)
Other Vegetable Addition Suggestions
- 1 red bell pepper diced finely
- soft boiled egg
- crushed roasted peanuts
- fresh squeezed lime juice
- mung bean sprouts
- crushed aleppo pepper
- 8 oz dried rice sticks 3mm wide
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook rice noodles according to directions. Since with cold water and set aside.
- Prepare toppings ahead of time. Dice cilantro. Crush or chop peanuts. Soft boiled eggs. Set aside.
- Dice chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a large pot combine the curry pastes, the spices, and coconut milk. Bring to a slow boil.
- Add sugar and fish sauce. (leave out fish sauce if vegan)
- Add chicken and simmer until done, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add any extra vegetable and/or tofu, and simmer for a few extra minutes.
- Divide rice noodles among 4 bowls. Ladle curry over the noodles. Add mung beans, cilantro, crushed peanuts on top.
- Serve with aleppo pepper, extra fish sauce, boiled eggs.
For my vegan daughter I leave out the fish sauce and add tofu and some extra veggies