The Promised Vegan Alfredo Recipe
This recipe was created for my vegan daughter (we call her Bean). Her stance on eating has inspired me to create more vegan recipes. Creating recipes that are completely plant-based, yet still, taste like something that I want to eat, required looking at ingredients in a different way. Living in a family comprised of carnivores and one vegan has its challenges! Trying to feed everyone good food and not be in the kitchen full-time takes planning.
I originally embraced my daughter’s veganism reluctantly but supportively.
My stance around diet has always been: eat whatever the hell you like as long as it is real food and really delicious and you’re getting the right amount of nutrition. You can be assured that any vegan post I make is Carnivore Approved™! I hope that if you’re in the same position as I am – a carnivorous parent cooking for a vegan spawn – you can find some inspiration here. I don’t want mambie-pambie-inedible vegan food, I want food that is amazing and delicious, and just so happens to be vegan.
In our house we do vegan night once a week; we try to coordinate the rest of the week so that Bean makes vegan dishes that can function as side dishes for us carnivores, and I add a protein if the rest of us feel like eating meat. It takes a little planning, but she is becoming a great cook, and we are all eating a more plant-based diet. It can be hard to please everyone, so it is a necessity to have vegan recipes that the carnivores in my house will love and eat.
This pasta passed my “Is this real food?” test with flying colors!
An alfredo sauce with no cream can be a little bit hard to wrap your head around, but it works. The cashews (soaked overnight) and the garlic are all you really need for this sauce – the butternut squash and kale are just hearty extras. I have to say, I was impressed by the way this all turned out – it’s delicious! The leftovers were also great, even cold, right out of the fridge. This is the kind of recipe that’s a keeper. Make it, and enjoy it!
Vegan Pasta Alfredo with Butternut Squash and Kale
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup butternut squash diced and sautéed
- 2 cups lacinato kale
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb orecchiette pasta cooked
The Day Before!
- Place 1 cup of cashews in a mason jar. Cover with water and soak overnight.
Prep of Veggies
- Dice the butternut squash. Sauté over medium heat in a few teaspoons of oil until tender and lightly golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Remove stems for kale and slice into fine shreds. Set aside.
- Strain the water off the cashews. Place the cashews, 1 cup of fresh water and 3 garlic cloves in a food processor. Process with the blade attachment until smooth.
- Pour into a heavy skillet and heat over med-high heat until bubbly. Let it cook until sauce thickens, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Mix in thyme. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sautéed butternut squash and the finely shredded kale. Heat just until the kale is wilted.
- Add in cooked pasta. Toss and enjoy!