This Vegan Alfredo Recipe is a cashew-based sauce. But, trust me, even your carnivores will rave about the garlicky creaminess of this alfredo sauce. Butternut squash and kale give this pasta dish a beautiful hearty texture and flavor that everyone in my family loves.
Do you have some vegan family members and others that aren’t?
I hear you! I have this same issue.
Living in a family comprised of carnivores and vegans has its challenges! Trying to feed everyone good food and not be in the kitchen full-time takes planning.
Pleasing everyone isn’t always easy. But this cashew-based alfredo sauce recipe is one of our family favorites.
This recipe was created for my vegan daughter (we call her Bean). But, rest assured, this completely vegan recipe is carnivore-approved.
Creating recipes that are entirely plant-based, yet still, taste like something that I want to eat, required looking at ingredients differently.
I initially embraced my daughter’s veganism reluctantly but supportively.
My stance around diet has always been: eat what you like as long as it is real food and really delicious, and you’re getting the right amount of nutrition.
You can be assured that any vegan post I make is Carnivore Approved™!
I hope that if you’re in the same position as I am – a carnivorous parent cooking for a vegan spawn – you can find some inspiration here.
I don’t want mambie-pambie-inedible vegan food, I want food that is amazing and delicious, and just so happens to be vegan.
How to plan when you are cooking for vegetarians and carnivores in the same house.
In our house, we do vegan night once a week; we try to coordinate the rest of the week so that Bean makes vegan dishes that can function as side dishes for us carnivores, and I add a protein if the rest of us feel like eating meat.
It takes a little planning, but she is becoming a great cook, and we are all eating a more plant-based diet. It can be hard to please everyone, so it is a necessity to have vegan recipes that the carnivores in my house will love and eat.
This Vegan Pasta Recipe passed my “Is this real food?” test with flying colors!
An alfredo sauce with no cream can be a little bit hard to wrap your head around, but it works.
The cashews (soaked overnight) and the garlic are all you need for this sauce.
The butternut squash and kale are just hearty extras.
I have to say; I was impressed by the way this all turned out – it’s delicious! The leftovers were also excellent, even cold, right out of the fridge.
This is the kind of recipe that’s a keeper. Make it, and enjoy it!
Other Plant-Based Recipes that you should check out
Vegan Pasta Alfredo with Butternut Squash and Kale
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup butternut squash diced and sautéed
- 2 cups lacinato kale
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb orecchiette pasta cooked
The Day Before!
- Place 1 cup of cashews in a mason jar. Cover with water and soak overnight.
Prep of Veggies
- Dice the butternut squash. Sauté over medium heat in a few teaspoons of oil until tender and lightly golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Remove stems for kale and slice into fine shreds. Set aside.
- Strain the water off the cashews. Place the cashews, 1 cup of fresh water and 3 garlic cloves in a food processor. Process with the blade attachment until smooth.
- Pour into a heavy skillet and heat over med-high heat until bubbly. Let it cook until sauce thickens, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Mix in thyme. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sautéed butternut squash and the finely shredded kale. Heat just until the kale is wilted.
- Add in cooked pasta. Toss and enjoy!