Vanilla Pastry Cream
- Mix the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Whisk until sugar has dissolved (and the mixture has become lighter in color).
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan. Add the vanilla pod. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Pour ⅓ of the hot milk mixture into the eggs. Vigorously whisk the eggs so that the hot milk doesn't cook them!
- Pour the eggs mixture into the pot with the rest of the milk. Vigorously whisk until combined.
- Place the pot back on the heat. Heat while stirring continuously with the whisk until the mixture begins to thicken. Continue to cook for up to another 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and continue to stir for another 2 minutes. Transfer the pastry cream into a bowl and remove the vanilla pod. Let cool at room temperature. Once at room temperature, refrigerate.
- Thin the pastry cream as desired by stirring with a whisk and/or adding a bit of cream or whole milk.