When you want something fresh and crunchy, lettuce wraps are just the thing. I use leftover shredded chicken to make this recipe. It's one of my go-to healthy meal prep recipes. Crunchy slaw and flavorful chicken are a super satisfying meal or snack.
I love the fresh, bright flavors of Vietnamese cooking, and the way well seasoned, savory – and sometimes spicy – meats are paired with crisp and crunchy veggies.
This lemongrass chicken lettuce wrap topped with a crunchy carrot and apple salad brings all of these fresh, bright flavors together in an easy-to-make and even easier-to-eat meal.
During the week, I am usually super busy.
Having a full-time job and a family sometimes doesn't leave a lot of leisure time at the end of the day, and I don't always have time to cook the kind of healthy meals that I want to.
Because I know this I do a lot of meal prep on the weekend so that I have things waiting for me in the fridge that I can either reheat or throw together on the fly.
I have a few go-tos that make my life easier. One of these is lettuce wraps – it is like the taco theme it just keeps on showing up! 🌮
The lemongrass marinade is versatile
This healthy marinade can be used on either chicken or a lean cut of pork.
It is super flavorful, and I use it often when I am doing batch cooking – it is easy to marinade a big batch of chicken so that you can cook it up and then keep it in the fridge. With pre-prepped ingredients waiting for you at home, it is super easy to throw together this lettuce wrap, a quick salad, or even on to a rice bowl.
Pair this chicken with the carrot, apple, and watermelon radish matchstick salad, and you have a dynamic duo of clean eating for days. Make quick work of this salad with a proper mandolin. I have tried more expensive mandolins, but this one is the best. If you use it a lot you might have to replace it as the blade dulls, my last one lasted for about two years.
➽ Did you make this recipe? I love to see what's going in your kitchen. Show me what you're cooking. 🍳 Tag me @foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. If you loved ❤︎ this recipe, please leave a 5 ★ review and a comment!
- 3 chicken breasts (or use 1.5 lbs pork tenderloin, sliced thin)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass bruised with a heavy mallet and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Tamari
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoon Red Boat Fish Sauce
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- Add all ingredients to a large freezer bag or a non reactive bowl.
- Add meat, marinade overnight.
- Baking: preheat oven to 425 ℉, bake for about 20 minutes. Internal temp should be 165 ℉.
- Grilling: Sear meat and then move to indirect flame cook until internal temp is 165 ℉.
- Pan cook: Thin sliced pork can be pan cooked until browned on both sides. Cook on medium to medium high heat. Don't over cook or it will be dry.
- Grilling: Grill over high flame. Sear meat. Thin sliced pork with cook very quickly on the grill.