Brownies in a Jar are a great inexpensive creative gift.
Preparing them is also a fun project for young kids. My kids used to make jars of these brownies as gifts for family, teachers, and friends. It is an easy indoor activity that keeps kids busy (and you from losing your mind) on a lousy weather day. It is also the perfect project for anyone who wants to do something special for a friend, neighbor, teacher, favorite merchant…or anyone.
I was a kid who always approached the holidays by first making an exhaustive list of everyone I could possibly think of that I wanted to honor with a thoughtful gift. I was that kid. I’d spend weeks doing crafts, baking, wrapping and delivering my creations. Then, as now, I wanted to express my deep appreciation for all of the wonderful people who touched my everyday life.
Homemade gifts are a thoughtful way to share holiday cheer.
Wouldn’t you rather receive lovingly prepared brownie mix (that could be squirreled away in your cupboard for that ’emergency batch’ of homemade brownies) over a generic Starbucks gift card?
The key to this recipe/project is having quart-sized wide mouth mason jars. This time of year you can generally find them at most grocery stores. They are sold in cases of 12 jars. They are inexpensive. Don’t worry about having too many. They are great for storing just about anything. I also use them for soup – or when I meal prep bone broth for the week.
Just layer the ingredients in the jar.
If you follow the sequence in the recipe it will result in alternating stripes of color. You may find that you have to gently tap down the layers to get it all to fit. Add the lid – and a note card with the baking directions – and you are good to go! You can also include a bow or other decorations if the mood strikes.
Thank you for your continued enthusiasm and support! We love to hear from you. Use the comments section below to tell us about your holiday projects.
We’re looking forward to an action-packed and ultra exciting 2018 and hope that you’re part of it! Sign up to receive our twice-weekly email digests. This will ensure that you don’t miss a thing.
Brownies in a Jar
Dry ingredients to layer in the jar
- 1 tsp salt scant...not quite full tsp
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- ½ cup flour This is a second layer of flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts
Wet ingredients to add to the batter before cooking
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
Assembly of the ingredients as a gift in a jar
- Layer the ingredients in a wide mouth quart-sized mason jar. Layer them in the order listed (to create aesthetically pleasing differentiated layers). Tap it down gently between layers.
- Attach the following directions to the jar: Combine ingredients of jar with 1 tsp vanilla, 2/3 cup of vegtable oil and 3 eggs. Pour into a greased 9 x 9" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Preparation of the brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. (Dump out your jar).
- Add wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 9" pan. Bake for 35 minutes.