Brownies in a jar is a fun, easy homemade holiday gift. I love giving gifts that people can use. In my opinion, everyone can use a batch of fudgy brownies. What is more thoughtful than a jar of made from scratch brownie mix?
I was that kid who always approached the holidays by first making an exhaustive list of everyone I could possibly think of that I wanted to honor with a thoughtful gift.
I'd spend weeks doing crafts, baking, wrapping, and delivering my creations. Then, as now, I wanted to express my deep appreciation for all of the wonderful people who touched my everyday life.
My dad once asked me where I got my complete lack of materialism. I have always appreciated experience over stuff.
Homemade gifts are a thoughtful way to share holiday cheer.
Wouldn't you rather receive lovingly prepared brownie mix (that could be squirreled away in your cupboard for that 'emergency batch' of homemade brownies) over a generic Starbucks gift card?
The key to this recipe/project is having quart-sized wide mouth mason jars. Around the holidays you can generally find them at most grocery stores. They are sold in cases of 12 jars.
Mason jars are inexpensive. Don't worry about having too many. They are great for storing just about anything. I also use them for soup - or when I meal prep bone broth for the week.
Just layer the ingredients in the jar.
If you follow the sequence in the recipe it will result in alternating stripes of color.
You may find that you have to gently tap down the layers to get it all to fit. Add the lid - and a note card with the baking directions - and you are good to go! You can also include a bow or other decorations if the mood strikes.
Thank you for your continued enthusiasm and support! We love to hear from you. Use the comments section below to tell us about your holiday projects.
A few more edible gifts:
Brownies in a Jar
Dry ingredients to layer in the jar
Wet ingredients to add to the batter before cooking
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
Assembly of the ingredients as a gift in a jar
- Layer the ingredients in a wide mouth quart-sized mason jar. Layer them in the order listed (to create aesthetically pleasing differentiated layers). Tap it down gently between layers.
- Attach the following directions to the jar: Combine ingredients of jar with 1 tsp vanilla, ⅔ cup of vegtable oil and 3 eggs. Pour into a greased 9 x 9" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Preparation of the brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. (Dump out your jar).
- Add wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 9" pan. Bake for 35 minutes.